Why can’t people leave me and my reactive puppy alone?

@spencervazquez Yep! It’s like people have never seen a dog a day in their life when they see my little schnauzer. I’ve been reading a lot about the difference between dog culture in the US vs Europe — and in the latter they ignore each other’s dogs and actually overwhelmingly train them, which is why they’re usually so much better behaved than ours.

@rich4u2 Not trying to be rude at all, but maybe a dog park isn’t the best place to take your reactive puppy if you expect to be left alone. People who go to the dog park assume that the other dogs are going to be friendly.

@rich4u2 I don’t have a reactive puppy but people will come up to me to pet my puppy even when I’m clearly working on things with her. They also seem to not care that I have headphones in (usually just one and it’s not even always on) and am very clearly not trying to converse with them.

@rich4u2 My dog isn’t reactive to dogs but she does have excitement/nervousness around new people. She’s fine, until someone makes eye contact and says ‘HI PUPPY!’ Right at her and she starts squealing and yipping.
I bought a bright yellow leash tag that says ‘in training - ignore’
It’s cut down immensely on people approaching her. Generally my unfriendly face and avoidance does the trick but this has seriously helped cut back on the rest. It’s a cheap and relatively easy step while you’re working on training so maybe worth a shot?

@mistic7 Yes - I have a leash attachment that says “need space” coming in soon! I’m worried that it still won’t be enough, so nice to hear that it’s worked for you.

@rich4u2 Yes I was also skeptical- my dog is 6 so not a puppy by any means, but we are still working on stranger excitement. It’s so frustrating because she is basically perfect even in large crowds where other dogs are barking at her - but the second someone makes eye co tact or approaches is - it’s pandemonium. I was Very pleasantly surprised by how respectful people are when they see the tag. Hope it helps!
And generally speaking - you’re already doing such an amazing job by taking your pup out in public spaces when it’s difficult. Use distance to your advantage, shake off the bad days, and don’t let looky-loos get you down. And most importantly- have Fun with your pup! Your relationship means more than any training. You’re in the trenches at that age, but just hang on and try to enjoy the good and let the bullshit go - they’re so worth it

@mistic7 Please work on your training skills instead of throwing a tag on the pup. Have you been to training sessions? Do you know how to reward good behavior consistently as opposed to just saying no when barking?

Check out the LIMA approach, not trying to judge but it seems like the problem is at home

@apostle1 …the tag is clearly to keep people away while training? Training includes exposure, which they are working on - I am always an advocate for professional training, but in this particular instance it’s clear they are working on a behavior and had a particular issue of other random people making it more difficult. Not sure where you got just ‘throwing a tag’ as the point of this?
Proper positive reinforcement training is critical, of course. That wasn’t the question/vent at hand though…

@rich4u2 My new rescue friend is a barky noisy, slightly anxious fellow in his new surroundings and other people are definitely not helpful. I bought a tabard off Etsy that says “anxious dog - give us space” on the back and front - there’s loads of different wording and customisation options - and yes, I look like a complete idiot in a brightly coloured neon vest but not one person has bothered us since. He also has a bandana on his collar telling folk not to touch him.

@rich4u2 Sorry - it sounds like that situation is stressful for you and your pup!! I’d be tempted to find a much quieter place and slowly build up to sitting calmly in busier places - I’d take his mat and use the settle command with loads of treats just for lying or sitting quietly. Then I started to take Percy to watch the local cricket games - every time he looked at me he’d get a treat! Just a bench on the side or a road or quiet park is a good place to stop and just watch the world go by. At first he would almost completely ignore me but slowly his eye contact and ignoring of distractions got much better……that exercise was when I used his highest value treat - he’s a sucker for chicken!! Now I take a yak bar or other long lasting natural chews because he loves them and will lie down and chew whilst I can drink a coffee.

@rich4u2 A vest solved this for me. It says “in training” but it looks like a service dog vest. Ever since getting one I don’t have to argue with people or their dogs as much. You still get the idiots, but not nearly as many.

I don’t use the vest to get into public places, obviously, we just use to to tell people we aren’t into making friends right now.

I’ll also agree with other posters - I wouldn’t go to a dog park or crowded hiking trail until my dog’s threshold allowed for it. I’d be working in calmer places at first.

@rich4u2 I agree with this as well! I have a 19 week old Cairn Terrier Mix who i am also working on Desensitization with at Public Parks while we are on Walks and Socialization and have been using High Value Treats and Everyone and their Mothers wants to try and Introduce their dogs to her and I am just like "No! Let her be!"

Yes She may be silent when she is on her leash and walking, and loves to meet new people and give kisses, but your dog, no matter how big or small, she is not ready to meet!

@rich4u2 I understand but after a while you'll stop give a f about what others say. Ours is not exactly reactive but he is way too enthusiastic to greet other dogs and sometimes he launches himself at the dog, sometimes backwards landing on my leg which hurts - as soon as I see another dog approaching i sharp turn or walk aside far so that our pup can observe the other dog. At first i felt bad thinking what the other dog owners might think of me but at this point i don't care. I m doing this for a better future for my puppy

@rich4u2 You started too close if he's constantly making noise and can't be distracted. My first puppy I started out walking the outside of the fence about 10' away and kept moving past any excited dogs or people. Then stopping for awhile at the end of the parking lot a good 40-50' from the main entrance. It wasn't until she stopped all barking, trying to hide, and no running away before I moved to sitting along the fence far enough from the entrance only a few dogs walked past us from the end of the parking lot behind us. It was several weeks before we sat at the entrance with her under the picnic table there watching people go by.

I also use harnesses with patches or lightweight, bright colored hunting dog capes that can be put on any dog with no need for sizing and adjustment. Just the bright colored cape often makes people hesitate to wonder why the dog is wearing it and get info before trying to interact. Putting patches on of "ask to pet" or "needs space" can invite people over and prevent people from even stopping to ask most of the time if needed. You can also get leash wraps that have words like "loves dogs, hates people" and the opposite plus other things. It reduces every single person stopping to talk to you and your dog or make things worse in their attempt to help.

Back