Who will miss him but me?

@ameryvance Our landlady who speaks their language tried but it doesn't help much because I hesitate to call the animal cops in a neighborhood full of immigrants. In the culture they're from, dogs just run their neighborhoods and do whatever and if "your" dog gets attacked, hit, etc. then another one will start hanging around soon enough and you "have" a new dog. I want them to use a tie out or something, not get shot.

@dike I would call animal control no matter what language they spoke or culture they came from if their off leash dog was harassing my on leash dog. That is not the culture where they live now and they should respect that.

@dike I understand respecting others cultures but the laws the law and they are not respecting the culture they moved into so why would you put yourself into the situation where you cater to them.

Maybe a bit insensitive but if dogs were roaming around my neighborhood off leash I'd be making calls

@dike Culture is great, and should be preserved absolutely, but when it actually is affecting / hurting other people, it’s ok to stop it. They are hurting other people and other dogs, and that shouldn’t be acceptable.

@dike I am in a relationship with a man that comes from similar culture. He still wouldn’t let his dog run around especially since he has learned that it’s not considered acceptable in our culture. Animal control takes a lot of time to take away an animals. They usually at least to a first visit to inform the owners about what they are doing wrong.

@dike I used to have crying sessions over this. Reactive training is a journey not a race and not a destination. It's a journey between you and your best friend. You got this ♡♡♡ I know it seems dark but I promise if you keep up the work which you have been doing it will pay off!

@dike to your dog, he had someone in this world love him to bits, fight for him, and will miss him forever after he's gone. that's enough. it doesn't matter if you're the only one in the world, that makes you the world to him. i'm sorry you don't have the support, but your dog is very lucky to have you

@dike I'm sorry. I lived with two mini schnauzers and I love them to pieces; they are so sweet with "their people." But. I would NEVER, and I mean NEVER, allow them off-leash. They are a working breed and trend toward being territorial and over-protective. They are also stubborn and remarkably strong for their size. Both schnauzers were rescued from former abusive situations, and both were reactive in different ways. The older one was sweet as pie UNLESS he was walking on a leash! Off-leash, he didn't care! But on leash, he was awful. He actually tore out of his harness once while I was walking him and went after a husky and I had to wrestle him down. Twice. It was terrifying. This was not my dog, and I'd hoped to get some more exercise walking him for my roommate since I loved the little dude, but after that, it was "never again." Schnauzers can be dangerous too and their owners are foolish, foolish, foolish to let them run around so. The little Yorkipoos probably can't do much damage to people or other animals, but they are *in danger* every time they go outside unsupervised. plenty of animals will prey on tiny dogs.

Do you have any kind of neighborhood council or HOA? Leash laws exist to keep everybody safe. This shouldn't be "oh, they're small, it's fine." It's not fine. Off-leash safety depends solely on the specific dog, has nothing to do with breed. There is no breed that is safe to be off-leash because no breed is made of the same personality of dog. Every dog needs to be leashed!

@tyronebishop
Do you have any kind of neighborhood council or HOA?

Nope. :( My landlady has tried to explain that they need to use their fences or a leash/tie out but it doesn't stick.

Don't get me wrong: there isn't a single kind or breed of dog I don't already appreciate, but I also know the hard way how it is to be the one attacked and nobody needs that. I've met some wonderful Schnauzers, but they don't back down easily. I appreciate that about hunting and working dogs... until the humans don't account for it in their care and daily schedule. Then I just pity the poor things.

@tyronebishop Schnauzers are serious dogs at any size, though I'd much rather face down a mini than a giant. The Giant Schnauzer is by far my favorite breed in appearance. They are so beautiful and dignified. Sadly, I know I'm not a suitable owner for a mini let alone a Giant so I must admire them from afar while I wrangle my hounds. Much respect to you as a Schnauzer person!

Back