Which dog food should I get for my dog?

wandering_sheep

So I usually feed my almost 3yr old chorkie small dog pedigree hard food. But he’s not very interested in it anymore so I’m changing it to a different and possibly better one, I’m been deciding between purina pro plan that I really liked feeding a dog that I used to have, or royal canine for yorkies I haven’t fed that brand or ever had it before so I don’t know much about it now but I will research, and my other option is fresh pet which one of my clients feed they’re dog and he seemed to be very interested in her food.. I’m more so looking into fresh pet as he likes actual cooked meat or raw meat… if you guys can give me your opinions on the food brands I listed weather it’s good or bad or your experience with it that would be very helpful, or if you have any suggestions for other brands I would be happy to hear….. I will be giving away the rest of the food that I have for him it’s about 7-8 pounds left since I just recently bought a 6 pound bag so if you need it and live it Dallas area lmk!… thanks for reading😁

@wandering_sheep Purina Pro plan is a solid choice. Really any of the major brands are good: Pruína Pro Plan, Hills Science Diet, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, etc…

The only thing my vet told me was to stay away from “grain-free” food, even if it is made by a top-tier boutique food brand. There are some early indications it may cause heart issues. The research is early, but she said she recommends to avoid it until there is better data.

@wandering_sheep I fed my dog Royal Canine for about a year and he did awesome with it! Just switched over to Hill’s Lamb and Rice because it’s a little bit more affordable and he’s also done really well on it. Highly recommend either of those brands.

@wandering_sheep My 10 year old Aussie is doing well on Hills science diet. She is on the perfect weight joint health dry, which is appropriate for her age, but they have many options for all ages. No loose or inconsistent stools, in fact the best she has had compared to anything she was eating.

@wandering_sheep I fed my two Pro Plan, and I wouldn't hesitate to feed Royal Canin either if my vet recommended it.

I would hesitate to feed FreshPet because I don't know how much nutritional testing has been done, unlike the big powerhouse brands who adhere to some pretty strict standards.

@wandering_sheep If your dog likes moist food, just mix in a spoonful of canned food that brand matches the dry you choose with each meal &/or soak the kibble to make it more of a mush than a crunch. One of my dogs likes mushy kibble, the other prefers crunchy with a spoonful of canned & will not eat if I’ve soaked her kibble to mush. 🤷🏻‍♀️
A can of food will last a few days if you’re just using a spoonful at a time. Just adjust the kibble a smidge so you’re not over feeding.

@wandering_sheep Farmina. Look at their website. They also have hydrolyzed proteins in their veterinary line if needed. And, no prescription required. It’s made in Italy. I highly suggest people read up on this company on their website. It’s legitimately the best kibble in my humble opinion.

Also: Yes, all Farmina dog foods are "complete and balanced" and meet the AAFCO Nutrient Profiles for growth (puppy), maintenance (adult), or all life stages.

https://www.farmina.com/us/farmina/714-farminas-scientific-research.html

@wandering_sheep I have a Yorkie. He has been on Hills Science diet for small dogs for years. He's almost 17 and doing alright even without many teeth. The kibble is tiny and perfect for a small dog. Do not give raw meat. They are small and it can make them sick a lot easier and quicker than a larger dog.

@wandering_sheep I just did this research and Purina pro, Royal canine, or Hills science are the way to go. I tried Iams, which is also recommended, and my dogs all hated it. Eukanaba I think it's called is the 5th vet recommended brand.

My dogs prefer the royal canine or hill science.

@wandering_sheep I love Royal Canin for prescription food needs. But I'm not sure how it is as a regular food. My dog has been eating the Kirkland brand (Costco) and it's ok. After 6 months he suddenly won't eat it and I switched brands temporarily to nutrisource, which is too expensive.

Back