Which dog breed is for me?! [BREEDS]

@childofthealmighty Others have spoken on this before but protection work is really tough and in this day and age if you're worried about needing protection it's better to learn how to safely own and operate a firearm.

With protection dogs you have to spend a fortune on training, and you may have trouble getting accomodations for them if you need to have them boarded or have a pet sitter while you're away. You also have to accept that if you do run into a situation where your dog needs to protect you, you may very well end up with a dead dog. Your dog may also become a bite risk depending on the training uses and how the dog assesses risks to your safety.

As far as deterrents go, as a dog walker ajd dog owner I have far less people interacting with me when I have a small dog than I do when I'm walking a big dog. I walked an obese presa canario for a week and the entire neighborhood would cat call him..Someone even pulled over in his pickup to compliment this dog. People are really obsessed with big scary looking dogs sometimes lol. Meanwhile I've had more people afraid to approach my very friendly 12 pound havanese.

That said some people just like the feeling of having a big dog with them and it can provide a bit of a confidence boost.

Given that you have limited experience with dogs I would definitely do more research through AKC on different breeds and also try to attend dog shows/sports/meet the breed events to see what kind of dog you'd really enjoy living with.

@whidbyministries
With protection dogs you have to spend a fortune on training, and you may have trouble getting accomodations for them if you need to have them boarded or have a pet sitter while you're away. You also have to accept that if you do run into a situation where your dog needs to protect you, you may very well end up with a dead dog. Your dog may also become a bite risk depending on the training uses and how the dog assesses risks to your safety.

Gosh I forgot to mention this in my comment. I had a client who had his Rottweiler go in for professional protective training. Spent thousands of dollars just for the rott to not make it. He instead ended up extremely reactive and is a bite risk.

@eront I don't mean aggression or resource guarding - but will interfere if there's a threat. For example, my gsd / husky mix would not tolerate my husband doing any sort of play wrestling with me (he was my dog before we were married and we were bonded). He was never mean about it, but he would get in between us. He never so much as growled at anyone, but I have no doubt if the actual need arose, he would have protected me.

@ben896 That's, honestly a behavioral pattern that should not be allowed to be rehearsed. It's not protection. That's potentially territorial aggression and/or "policing" behavior.

@ben896 That's great he was so long-lived, but it doesn't change that this is a behavior designed to make your husband give you space, which is the definition of aggression. You're fortunate that it didn't escalate.

@childofthealmighty Please consider a standard poodle in a dark colour, since that's often read as more intimidating. I have a brown one, he's even fairly small for the breed, and I feel totally safe going out with him at 3am in a bad part of town - People literally cross the street to avoid us.

If you liked that doodle, I promise you you'd really love poodles!

@childofthealmighty OP feel free to message me. In an nyc woman with two dogs. I know you said you’d prefer a breeder but it sounds more like you’re opposed to mixed breeds vs. rescue dogs? There are a lot of purebred rescue dogs that people give up because the owners move / have a kid / can’t afford it / etc.

I’d recommend starting by checking the ACC website and Instagram pages. There are definitely some dogs that fit your description and are really sweet just need a good home: https://www.nycacc.org

Big Babka or Peter Pan look like they could be a good fit?

I’d also recommend fostering a few different breeds first if you’re not sure.

@childofthealmighty I’d say get a German Shepard. They’re very big and intimidating dogs but most of them are big softies. My dad has a German Shepard Mal mix and he’s the sweetest boy around but has the bark of a monster. They’re fairly easy to train if you do your research and put in the work. I have been around a bunch of them and they are usually very good dogs.

Edit to add: DO NOT get a malinois. From what you’re saying I do not think you would be prepared for what they need. They are high maintenance dogs and require an extremely rigorous schedule.

@balhinch Every dog needs training. I have had a few in my life and none have been hard to train. It’s all about knowing how to pick the puppy correctly, that goes for any dog. They are extremely intelligent and eager to please. Of course, anomalies exist but personal experience begs to differ on that.

I think they’re easier to train than Dobermans but that’s just my opinion. Any dog will need a lot of training so I’m not really seeing your argument.

@childofthealmighty This is a bit of a random one, but I have Korean Village Dogs. They look like Jindos but are actually free roaming native dogs. 40 pound range, extremely athletic, brilliant, not barkers unless for very good reason, and have the manners of a cat indoors (they naturally groom themselves, are incredibly clean, and generally do not destroy or chew or jump on guests or counter-surf. Obviously every dog is different but they are generally known for their manners in the primitive dog community). They are aloof to strangers and honestly don’t look very friendly. They are one-family dogs for sure and so loyal. Nobody approaches me in the park unless it’s another KVD, Jindo or Shiba guardian who wants to compare notes. Not for the novice trainer though and not for everyone, however they’re my first personal dogs and we’re doing so well! Temperaments vary widely so I’d work with a reputable rescue and assess dogs currently in foster to get an insight into personalities. Down sides - prey drive, not food motivated and I would not recommend off leash activity or any board and trains. They take direction from their guardians because of the strong bond they have, and may completely blow off a trainer’s requests.