When did your ACD stop growing?

dougr

Hi everyone first time posting on Reddit and it wouldn’t allow me to add pictures to the post. I am the proud dog dad to a 9 month old fur covered land shark by the name of Floki. As of his last vet visit he is 23” tall and 56lbs he’s not overweight still has a nice waist line. I was wondering if he would get any bigger and I wanted to see how his size compares to other ACD’s. I will post photos of him later once I figure out how.

@dougr Our pup got to 83 pounds at 18 months before he looked even a little bit pudgy. He is 3 now and seems to have leveled out at 72lbs and 23”. I keep thinking back to the 35-50lb breed description and wondering what happened to our guy.

@dougr Unaltered until 3 years. My boy stopped height at around 10months (21.5inches tall) but being unaltered until maturity he gained mass, he's much thicker than he was at 2! He's 7 now. From 2-3yrs he widened, his chest deepened and he came into himself structure wise.

@dougr Skeletal growth is usually complete by 1 y.o. if not a little before, then they continue to fill out their frames for about another year (chest deepens, more prominent muscling at shoulder and thigh etc.). As a broad rule of thumb, doubling a dog's 4-month weight generally gives a pretty good rough estimate of its mature lean weight, unless it's toy-size or giant-size.

If the 23" measurement was taken at the withers/shoulder blades, then he's very tall for an ACD, assuming he's purebred. Standard range is 17" - 20."

@dougr Both of mine rushed growing right about 16 months ish. My red girl us fall and long and weighs 58 pounds (could stand to lose a couple pounds tbh, but she is very muscular) my blue boy Syd is more compact, can feel every rib and weighs about 47 pounds.