What kind of dog food is this?

dvina

My wife brought home a bag of dog food that a company was giving out outside of a store. Our dog is allergic to chicken, it is chicken free, and he loves the food! Unfortunately, she threw away the bag and doesn’t remember the brand. It is triangles mixed with random bits of other kibble. Link to picture of the kibble.

@dvina Are you sure he's allergic to chicken? Those "other kibbles" you are seeing is the "dried shredded chicken" that is in the Purina pro plan diet.

Edit: I stand corrected, the shredded blend comes in chicken, beef, salmon, and turkey.

However ALL of these lines include poultry by-product meal which will 100% be chicken/turkey protein antigen

@goldandsilver Right, but even the salmon and rice has poultry byproduct in the top 5 ingredients. That poultry by product is virtually guaranteed to contain chicken. The point being made is that regardless of which flavor they all contain poultry by product so if your dog has a chicken allergy then proceed with caution.

@maki I find (ime) that most dogs don’t react nearly as strongly to the lower amounts of chicken byproduct than straight, larger amounts of chicken protein. Thankfully. It also depends on the sensitivity of the dog.

Since OP states their dog was doing well on this specific blend of food, then I’m sure the sensitivity isn’t too severe since it contains some byproducts and it is fine to continue.

@goldandsilver That's just not how sensitivities work. Allergies and sensitivities are way over-diagnosed by dog owners so it's more likely there was never an issue with chicken in the first place than there is some distinction between muscle meat and byproducts.

@dvina Looks like Purina Pro Plan. They have turkey and oatmeal, salmon and rice and lamb and oatmeal all chicken free. It's really good. My dog loves the turkey and oatmeal.

@dvina As other people have said, it looks like PPP's Shredded Blend Salmon and Rice formula! The shredded blend formula does still have chicken in it (poultry by-product), but if your dog is doing well on it, then definitely stick with it!

I've cut chicken out from my dog's main diet to reduce her tear stains, so I personally use their Sensitive Skin & Stomach Lamb & Oat recipe! The SSS line doesn't use any chicken at all in the formulation! Some people have been having trouble with the salmon version since they took out the probiotics, but if you haven't regularly been using it, you'll probably be fine!