What is the safest way to single handedly stop a dog fight if/when it happens?

mamastitch

Had an experience earlier today where my two dogs growled at one another for a second before a fight broke loose. I'm guessing the instigator was the elder of the two who is 6 y/o and the other culprit is 3 y/o.

This sort of behaviour is extremely rare but would like to know what to do the next time it happens.

@mamastitch I work at a training school and fights break out occasionally in our play groups. We use a walker and wheelchair for socialization purposes, but they're useful to get between fighting dogs, so grab a chair and push it between them. We also have a deterrent spray and a whistle, but I normally grab the back legs and wheelbarrow them backwards. There are times I've blown the whistle though and yelled "Foul! Inappropriate play! 5 minutes in the penalty box!" The sound is surprisingly efficient.

@tenantfile
"Foul! Inappropriate play! 5 minutes in the penalty box!"

That's brilliant! I never taught them the 'naughty corner' or 'penalty box'. Could you explain how this could be taught and how long should they stay there?

Loud noises and the wheelbarrow seems to be the main course of action but my concern with the wheelbarrow action is precisely what /@kaycee368 mentioned where the other dog could keep attacking.

@mamastitch The dog trainers I go to say throwing a handful of treats at the fighters might stop. Their next step involved a large board that they stick between the dogs, since you're NEVER supposed to put your hands in there.

Other than that, loud noises? Like an air Horn?

@mamastitch The only time I ever had to singlehandedly break up a fight between two (very large) dogs, I tried using a heavy chair between their faces but that only worked to get them apart for a brief second, after which one of them just jumped over the chair to get at the other one.

I had to grab the back legs of one dog and swing him into a bedroom and close the door, which also got him injured more seriously because this allowed the other dog to keep attacking. It was a horrible experience.

Figure out what triggers scuffles between them and try to prevent future fights. Watch for warning signs, like when they square off at the shoulder and get really stiff.

@kaycee368 I had a similar experience, but a larger stray caught my dog by the neck and shook, so it was pretty one-sided. I think the loud noise & then 'wheelbarrow' technique is the best first response. I'm not a very big/strong person, but lifting the hind legs doesn't take a lot of effort. In my situation, after I secured attacking dog, my own dog didn't pursue further, just avoided, so that was fortunate.

@kaycee368 Sorry to hear your dog was injured. Hope your dog is ok now.

I think it was food or fighting over a bowl (even though they have separate bowls) may have caused it but will keep a sharp eye on their behaviour from now on.

@mamastitch Both dogs are ok now. :) I had to start feeding them in separate rooms and I never keep food bowls out or on the floor to avoid any issues.

It's scary when you see your dogs go at it and you feel kind of helpless.

@mamastitch What kind of dogs?
How is their bond with you?
How is their recall?

My opinion, since they are both your dogs, the answer is different than if the other dog was unknown.

@drofbc The youngest is a Boxer and the other is a Dinmont Terrier. Bonds with me are great. Both recalls are average. By that I mean good when there are no distractions but otherwise delayed responses.

@mamastitch Throw a blanket over them. May distract them long enough to separate them as they try to get out from under it. I am a single owner of four large dogs and I've had to break up many fights. I've been bitten twice though so be careful. Also may want to try airhorns or another loud noise.

@mamastitch I've heard loud noises are the first place to start. Other than that, both owners can grab the back legs of each dog and pull them apart. I've seen it done before and it's pretty effective.

@catholicdads Since OP asked what to do when you only have one person to split up a dog fight-I've seen an individual do a similar equivalent to the wheelbarrow approach by looping a slip lead around the rear of a dog and tying the lead to a sturdy object (staircase railing) then wheelbarrowing the second dog away. Gets both dogs "held" although I have no clue how easy it would be to do in practice.

@chrissyboy Surprisingly difficult. Especially since 99% of the time, we have no idea who started the incident. Or even how it started. So choosing which dog to 'lasso' is a risky proposition. We could get the wrong one, and if we do, dire consequences come for the one we did, because we've left him in an indefensible position. This ASPCA link should clear up how to stop a dogfight, and how to recognize one. /@tenantfile has the correct approach with the whistle. Not a dog whistle either, it has to be a police-style whistle. Like the one's we'd all seen in Phys. Ed. That's usually enough to startle both dogs out of the fight to see what the hell it was that made the horrid noise.

If you've got two people, however, and the noise has failed, getting both dogs by the rear (just above the hips) and pulling backwards is enough to do the job. Then again, this may be the most severe method of dealing with the issue. The less severe issue is taught to Las Vegas bouncers, in how to deal with fighting women. Wet towel on the back of the neck. This doesn't work too well for dogs, but what does is a full water bowl dumped on the both of them. (coincidentally, all of this comes from the ASPCA)

Back