What do you say to owners of off-lead dogs?

@jaxosk26 Yup. He’s one of those people who thinks he’s God’s gift to the world. He got the dog solely for the purpose of letting everyone in the neighborhood know not to mess with him. Unfortunately he’s the type of person who retaliates when people call him out on his stupid antics, so there really isn’t much we feel comfortable saying or doing in those situations.

@jaxosk26 The funny thing is in theory I’m not actually against dogs off-lead if they’re under control with recall and courteous to other dogs/guardians. But part of that is recalling/leashing your dog if you see a dog you don’t know.

I’d have probably said “an on-lead dog” in the past but no, any dog you don’t know as on the green list with your dog. Because if they don’t get on well, how are you gonna keep up with two fighting dogs to break them up?

Case in point for us was yesterday - we were doing our morning walk and another guy’s dog-aggressive dog broke their lead and charged/attacked my dog, didn’t care about any of the deterrents. Fortunately the guy’s dog was muzzled but if their dog hadn’t been muzzled and/or both dogs had become unleashed the situation would have been a total disaster. But his dog was muzzled, and my dog was leashed, so his dog didn’t successfully get any bites in or drive my dog away so the situation got back under control relatively quickly instead of losing one or both dogs.

And I’m so frustrated too because I’m like GDI I can’t even say 2024 has no dog attacks in it and it’s only the 4th.

@jaxosk26 "Please call your dog" is my go to, usually people are good about it. Recently when a dog didn't listen I put my dog behind me (holding her harness), put my other hand out in a stop signal and yelled "no!" It actually worked well?

And by some miracle my dog didn't make a peep! I think that my being assertive maybe helped?

@jaxosk26 What are the more in-depth leash and dog-related laws in your area? In my town, we have designated leash laws and there are additional penalties like a ticket for having a dog in an off-leash area who isn’t under voice control. At that point, we know our animal control officer and can follow up with her directly. It’s a lot of work but I know that she’s committed to maintaining a safe space for all dogs, owners, and residents, so she will follow up.

I recently learned that a problematic owner had been reported on three times, resulting in a 30-day ban from a specific trail and off-leash area.

Have you looked into this in your area?

@hopeisjoyful I haven’t looked into any specifics, but in general, all dogs are to be leashed in public areas regardless of voice control. Only in specified off-lead areas (dog parks and the like) are dogs permitted to be off the lead.

@jaxosk26 Sorry, I should have been more clear. What I recommend looking into are any specific bylaws or the like that indicate how these laws are enforced — I can’t advise more because this is specific to your country/state/locality. I had never considered getting to know our animal control officer until I learned about more about her role and “how things work” in my town.

Other commentors have recommend filing police reports, which might be an option. I know that in my town, things only changed after multiple people spoke up and reported the offenders, which led to broader enforcement. You’re probably not alone in your situation as plenty of people don’t love off-leash dogs in public areas.

@jaxosk26 After watching my dog get attacked, idgaf about the other dog "I WILL KICK YOUR DOG" and then follow through. My dog will not have further trauma because of some fucking idiot

@jaxosk26 I feel like I am in that boat now, paying money to just help my dog 'settle' on a blanket. I just felt that statement you made about the money is all. And I agree with off leash dogs. I'm afraid to go anywhere at this point, for fear of exactly that.......

@jaxosk26 You've made yourself visible. The vests will help once the regulars start recognizing you. Practice more training like getting behind you on command, moving between your legs for protection.
Compressed air, airhorn, or citronella gel could be the last line of defense.
But also reporting off leash dogs to whoever manages the park would be good.

@jaxosk26 Look up SniffSpot. Private acreage where you and you alone can walk/play/run/train with your dog safely off leash. There’s a few in the area. You rent the Spot by the hour, usually $5-$10. I’ve visited a couple of them. It’s an awesome solution for reactive dogs. They have amenities for people and dogs - toys, water, seating, etc. The one in Mead has two small plastic pools that my dogs like to walk through, I think it’s two fully fenced acres.
I realize this doesn’t resolve the unleashed dogs in public spaces but it’s worked great for us. ❤️🐾❤️

@jaxosk26 Unfortunately, after my dog got attacked, I carry pepper spray. If an unleashed dog runs up to us I will use it. I first yell at the owner to get their dog or it’s getting pepper sprayed.

@jaxosk26 I yell "leash your dog!" If they ignore me or argue, I repeat myself, sometimes add "Go to a dog park! Leashes are required here." If they give me more attitude, I add "Leash laws apply to everyone - including you!" I repeat some combination of these phrases regardless of their excuses or comebacks or whatever so we don't get drawn into a back and forth.

If all else fails, I take out my phone to snap a picture and threaten to call animal control.

Some people don't change their behavior unless they are confronted about it regularly enough that they're inconvenienced or embarrassed.

Obviously none of that is practical if an off-leash dog is already charging at us. When we that happens I just try to get between the dogs and yell "GET YOUR DOG!" Then once the dust has settled, I glare and ask "why wasn't your dog on a leash?!?"

@jaxosk26 Something our reactive dog trainer suggested was keeping throwaway treats. Basically, always have a handful of great smelling high value treats you can throw at the approaching dog to buy enough to time to distract them while you gtfo. The hardest part of this was training mine to not be interested in those treats and rather interested in leaving with me but usually keeping a handful of treats to lure him away while first learning really helped. We practiced on a generally deserted trail by repeating „reactive dog, recall your dog“, throwing treats, and zooming away. It’s come in handy a few times now with off leash dogs and especially strays

@jaxosk26 Depends completely on the situation, if they recall their dogs then happy days! Otherwise I’ll usually ask them to grab ahold of the dog while I pass.

I usually have my dogs off lead, so when I recall my dogs to me, they usually do the same. I think the fact that my dogs are shepherds and one wears a muzzle is helpful though 😅

@jaxosk26 We take our dog to this fabulous trainer who specializes in aggressive and working breeds. Dude literally consults with the police and military and advises them on their dog training programs. Insane guy, would follow him into battle.

Point is, he recommended citronella spray and I could not tell you what a relief it is to have. It won’t hurt the dog but will not allow them to interact with yours. Win win!!!

Good luck!

For the spray…can find online but doesn’t ship to all states. I’m in NY which doesn’t allow the shipping but my mom is in PA who does.

@jaxosk26 I’ve learned to shout “My dog WILL bite!” Once loudly and clearly. I then stand and watch, without moving.

Works better than any other method I’ve tried. She also wears in training patches. If their dog decides to run over to us, it’s on them if they get injured.

If they actually have a recall, it’s not even a problem. It’s only people with no recall that have to run and pick up their pups, looking flustered and uncomfortable.

People with actual recall call their dogs and usually even wave. I usually say, “Thank you!” As we go on passed. (Sometimes I also say it sarcastically to people who made a huge mess of getting their dogs as well.)

@jaxosk26 These interactions often require split-second decisions because you can't control other people and can hardly predict the exact outcome of an interaction with an off-lead dog. You do what you have to do to advocate for everyone's safety and to set your dog up for success. Being polite comes second to this.

The best thing you can do for your dog is to make every effort to remain calm and in control of the situation, and accept that some people just won't care that their behavior can have lasting impacts on people and their dogs.

@jaxosk26 You did great. I have worked so hard with my dog, and am lucky enough that she is pretty good - as long as strange people/dogs stay out of her space. She can walk by them with no issue, but if they get in her space, she’s not having it. Off leash dogs trigger me - a childhood dog of mine died from injuries received from two off leash dogs (owner totally lied and said they were leashed - luckily witnesses confirmed they were not). A friend of mine had two dogs jump over her fence and killed her dog in her own backyard. It cannot be said enough, keep your dogs on a damn leash, people.