What do you feed your dog and why?

heathenm

I’m wondering what everyone feeds their dog and why? I feed one of my dogs Hills Prescription Diet k/d because she has kidney damage from eating salt, one Purine One lamb and rice because she has a chicken allergy and she doesn’t break out on this, and one a small breed or puppy food as he just barely turned a year old and he is smaller than my other dogs so I worry about choking on the Purina food my other dog eats.

@heathenm My dog gets purina pro plan sensitive skin and stomach. He has a chicken allergy and just a sensitive tummy in general and this is like the only food that keeps his bowel movements regular. Also love WSAVA compliant brands :)

@heathenm I feed my dog Purina one lamb and rice as well. 50% that, 50% homemade wet food we make him about once every 2 months or so. That is 40% meat (organ meat makes up about 1/5 of that overall weight) 30% grains (cooked weight) 30% vegetables plus supplements mixed in after cooking.

Why? Because we want the benefits of WSAVA backed heavily studied food and the benefits of homemade minimally processed food. And because he doesn’t do well with large amounts of chicken either.

@briank7 I’m just coming off that home food/raw high because I’ve realized that there’s no control and oversight. I can never know what I’m doing exactly. I also thought of supplementing in the future but then I’d introduce unknown variables again. At least the big brands are backed my science. My home cooked food isn’t.

@heathenm Diamond naturals pro breeder. Its first ingredient is chicken, it has 30% protein and comes in 20kg format. I have 7 dogs and live in the country side, so they are pretty active.

@heathenm Currently feeding my aussie 75% Pro Plan SS Salmon and Rice and 25% Homemade Just Food for Dogs DIY Turkey and Macaroni for her meals. She has epilepsy and gets MCT oil as a supplement everyday in the home cooked food. I used to come up with different treats to put the oil in everyday, but I find it easier now just cooking a batch of home cooked food that I know is balanced and giving her a little bit in the morning and evening after she eats he kibble- plus I love cooking and she loves her "fancy food".

@heathenm Wellness Whitefish and Sweet potato with grains. It’s the best for firm poops but he still gets diarrhea and skin discoloration around his crotch. It’s the only one that gives me 1 firm poop throughout the day. All the other ones aren’t as good. I’ve tried PPP, RC and Hill’s, and I get similar results. He should probably be on prescription diet, but the vet says as long as he’s not licking his paws, he’s fine. We’ll see.

@heathenm Currently feeding, Purina One - we avoid chicken recipes because he just won't eat them. He likes the Skin and Coat, Healthy Weight (despite the fact that he isn't overweight turkey is one of his favorite proteins), and he can do the lamb occasionally.

I was feeding Purina Pro Plan sensitive stomach as a puppy but it was becoming hard to afford I wanted to keep with WSAVA-compliant foods which is why I went down to Purina One. My vet also originally recommended Purina One but their sensitive line is only for adults.

@heathenm We tried purina pro plan sensitive skin and stomach. He got sick for a week until we realised it was the food and stopped. Im talking vomit and diahrea every two hours.

We tried science hills but it caused him to have huge eye boogers and really rough feeling fur.

We tried royal canin which worked better then the other two but he hated eating it and it made his poop pretty dark and hard. No more eye boogers though.

Right now we are on honest kitchen gourmet grains dehydrated food that you add water to and it rehydrates. We mix it with the royal canin kibble so its half and half. He likes it better then the kibble, seems more palatable and his fur is so much softer. His poo is good but notcied he poops more often but smaller poops.

@heathenm I feed my corgi Orijen dry(regional red/tundra etc) + some kind of wet food/pouch.

I am located in EU so I often mix with Brit/Carnilove/Farmina canned food. Plus I like OptiMeal wet pouches. I mix canned for the sake of taste.

I can give my pup goat yogurt, some boiled rice, buckwheat, pumpkin, apple etc.
I don't like giving my dog 1 thing and 1 thing only.

Back