What Do I Look For In A Behsviorist:

@earthboundmisfit929 I don’t see why them being Force Free would mean you can’t use an E-collar aside from when they’re doing their work.

In my opinion working with a behaviorist is a good way to spend thousands of dollars before chemically lobotomizing them and/or euthanizing them.

If you’re struggling with prey drive and herding instinct a "behaviorist" probably won’t get you far.

@scotty2014 I second this!

Take all of what I’m saying with a grain of salt as it’s my experience, and others may feel differently, but:
Behaviorists, especially “force free” (whatever a FF Behaviorist means) will be a waste of money. It’s not really a “thing”. My old roommate is a vet tech, gives the generic “use a FF trainer” line, because he’s literally told by the vet administration he works for too, then he goes home and all his dogs are ecollar trained and fully off leash obedient.
Look, your vet is giving scripted advice, there’s an understandable fear of liability. This isn’t EVERY vet, but hearing that from him AND my personal vet was eye opening.

Second: as an owner, you’ll know what trainer is making the most progress, you know your dog best.
I adopted my current dog around the same time 2 other friends did. All 3 of our dogs had reactivity issues (mine had the worst since there was underlying aggression, a bite history and he was adopted as an adult). I worked with known balance trainers in my network as I was unsure how to approach an adult Shiba Inu (they are quirky). The others went behaviorist and R+ (which the prices they paid were insane to me). My dog, while still not dog friendly, has zero reaction, is able to be off leash (with e collar), can focus heel, etc. it took a lot of work though. Every day was spent proofing, new training, new experiences and relationship building, etc. my dog was a serious at-risk dog because of his bite history, so I literally treated this as my second FT job.
My friends who spent literally thousands of behavorists, specialized vets, and varying R+ trainers weren’t so lucky. 1 had to give them up to a sanctuary, the other was euthanized. This happens every day. It hurts too.

My advice: understand your vets job is to be a vet. They aren’t trainers. My doctor can tell me “to lose weight”, but a dietician and personal trainer will map out how to achieve this, that’s like a respectable trainer. Many vets also have a wide variety of knowledge (they treat a large spectrum of animals, not just dogs), so it’s unfair to expect them to know how to train specific breeds with specific problems.

It sounds like building a foundation with your dog is critical, then focusing on basic obedience and impulse control. Once these are down, your dog might be a great candidate for an e collar.

I do want to emphasize, I have nothing wrong with behaviorists or R+ trainers. Many dogs thrive with R+ and can “meet the expectations of many families” with R+. As for behaviorists, I’m sure there’s many good ones out there, but just like trainers, they are a dime a dozen, and it’s going to take time to find the right one.

Best of luck!

Quick edit: I did see a behaviorist talk about isolating triggers and responses within this thread. Regardless if you go to a trainer or behaviorist, if they don’t do this, find someone new asap. A good trainer will ALWAYS spend time to understand and isolate triggers to get a holistic view of the dogs behavior

Back