What breed of dog is best for a dog trainer?

@lisaomo I love training GSDs, goldens, and mals. Just it wouldn’t impress me as much as a trainer who has a harder to train dog.

I probably will never own an English bulldog or Newfie because it’s not my style/kind of dog.

@ryesenova This guy constantly puts his dog in dangerous and uncomfortable situations for youtube likes.

The breed wouldnt really matter for a competent trainer. The dog should be family first and training tool second so get the breed you want to get with due research, then test and select the right puppy off of tested parents you wont have an issue with stability.

@spreading_the_gospel He's pretty much all about the money.

He owns a force-free, cage-free daycare franchise. One opened up by me and it looked okay, only to find that there were dominance elements and their positions were misleading.

@ryesenova I actually really don't like Beckman's approach with this because that dog was always super stressed out. A good trainer won't put their dog in a position to have to deal with dogs like he does.

Edit to add: I also like atypical breeds.

@eront “That” dog was never stressed out. Have you not seen Bosco videos? He would correct a dog with a strict “knock it off.” “You're being jerky to everybody that’s been nothing but be nice to you.” Bosco was as cool as a cucumber.

@ryesenova The one you like and won't mind training after a day of dealing with other people's dogs.

But yeah - I'm trying to figure that out for NextDog. Right now, Laika (my shelter mutty mutt - 35lb tan mix of everything) is a huge partner in my training, particularly for reactive dogs. However, I never have her interact directly with my client's dogs. That, IMO, is just too much stress for a dog to have to deal with regularly, even the most stable one and I'm not going to put her through that. She's always at least 6ft away from the other dog, and if she shows stress, we stop.

But I would like my next dog to also be able to fill the role she does. My border terrier is a good "advanced" dog because he does have much stiffer body language and does sometimes stare if I'm not managing him.

As for what that dog is... ugh. I don't know. Overall as moderate of a dog as possible. My plan right now is to just keep my eyes open and maybe find one coming through the shelter.

@ryesenova Tom Davis’ Dutch shepherd is bomb proof and perfect for working with reactive clients. Just works and plays no matter what’s going on around her, switching between neutral to active based on what the client dog needs. He didn’t let our dog interact with her (he ended up wanting to play!) and instead was going to do an introduction with their GSD, but that dog had zero interest in ours so he didn’t push it.

@ryesenova I'm not a fan of this dude tbh, neither of the dogs in this video look comfortable

As a trainer, one should know more than anyone to get a breed that fits their lifestyle imo, not one that they want because it's an "impressive" demo dog.

@ryesenova Malinois' are often chosen for competitive training because they're high drive, and if trained correctly you can get virtually all of that directed towards the handler, so they can be perfect stooge dogs in many situations if they're trained to a high enough level to completely ignore any reactive dogs kicking off around them. IMO reactivity training shouldn't really reach a point where you want the reactive dog directly interacting with your dog as the trainer so any intelligent dog that can be trained to a high level should be fine for most trainers.

@ryesenova I would love to see someone training a Bosco and not by watching one video and giving an opinion and not really watching him in action. Plus, be as sweet as Bosco was. He never hurt a dog, but he did tell them to knock it off, and they always listened. He was as balanced as any trainer.