What are you feeding your dog and why?

n0ble207

Hi all! My Shadow just turned 1 years old and we’ve been feeding him TLC pet food as recommended by our breeder. I don’t believe this is the best food for him anymore and am looking for a better alternative. He’s a red golden retriever and he’s very nice and fit. He gets regular exercise and doesn’t have any health problems. I’m curious to know which dog foods you all opted for.

@n0ble207 I do proplan chicken and rice small breed (with shreds) for my cavalier. I feed it mostly because he decided he didn’t like royal canin and I’m sick of wasting food. He eats it with a topper. It’s also a decent WSAVA compliant food.

@goodwill Literally the same happened with my Aussie. Decided she didn’t like royal canin so we swapped to pro plan chicken and rice puppy food for now.
She seems to like it a lot more. And her coat is pretty soft now.

@jalo He’s a real pain with eating dog food to begin with. I still have to soak it in bone broth and add some canned but he won’t go on a 2 day long hunger strike over it. Not sure what happened with RC it was just not it one day.

@goodwill My vet did say sometimes adding tasty toppers to entice them to eat it makes them expect that so I stopped that and just tried a new food. But yeah she did just stop eating it one week. She’d leave half her bowl of breakfast sitting for hours with the royal canin.

@goodwill Huh that's odd, mine did too. She was eating Royal Canin German Shepherd for 6 months then stopped. It could be her medication doing it (she's on a temporary pain trial) or it could be because the bag had holes when we bought it and we didn't notice for a few days.

She's now on Pro Plan large breed and she actually eats it dry and as treats plus we don't need to buy Fortiflora anymore and it's cheaper per kg to boot...

@cerraco He does get zesty paws allergy and immunity bites and one of those glandex boot the scoot soft chew. Ones just a pumpkin fiber supplement and the other is because he’s definitely an allergy dog (grasses). Both have probiotics I believe

@n0ble207 My 2 year old GSP eats Hill’s Science Diet, sensitive stomach chicken and rice formula. We’ve tried many foods, he’s always had a loose stool issue, he’s done better on this formula and I give him probiotics pretty regularly as well. I opted for this because Hills has been around for a very long time and has a good reputation. His eating habits are more cat-like than any other breed I’ve had.

@n0ble207 Pro plan sensitive skin and stomach salmon and rice. Both my labs do well on it. TLC is often recommended by breeders because they get money from them.

@n0ble207 Something from Hill’s Science Diet, Royal Canin, Purina, Iams, or Eukanuba once her food trial is done. Currently feeding her Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein for 8 weeks.

@rsm777 Can you expand upon what you're doing for her "food trial?"

I just did a bunch of internet digging and decided it was probably between RC and Eukanuba – ended on Eukanuba because it's relatively affordable and I read a lot of folks talking about their dogs rejecting RC – which is pretty unacceptable at the price point for me.

I'm interested in what her food trial consists of. I'd definitely consider doing one when she's around a year and I'm switching her onto an adult diet.

@n0ble207 Both of my dogs are on Royal Canin (one eats the Boxer food and the other eats the Yorkshire Terrier food). They can both be VERY picky but love their current food. I mix in RC canned food as well. Both dogs are healthy, at a perfect weight, nice coats, and good stools. RC does extensive research and quality control checks/ingredient tracing. I never worry about a “bad batch.” Expensive but worth it and practically no crumbs in the bag.

@n0ble207 Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy for my rotten shepherds currently. One gets Pro Plan Large Puppy Development 30/17 due to being a skinny running monster.

Plan on switching to Eukanuba at the 2 year mark.

Back