We Finally Went to a Veterinary Behaviorist, Here's How it Went

hammer118928

Marking this as a 'success' even though we have a long road ahead :)

To condense a longer backstory into a shorter one: adopting Odin, my partially blind and fear-reactive rescue this past October was a major turning point for me. I’ve had dogs before, but this was my first time being the guardian of one that was reactive. He snaps at strangers. Other dogs send him into a panic. He will throw himself at a fence to try and get at whatever unfamiliar dog dared to bark and startle him. His anxiety around strangers and other dogs makes everyday activities, like vet visits and walks, a challenge to put it lightly. We’ve been working with a trainer since November, but I also decided (after speaking with my vet) that it’d be worth spending the money on a veterinary behaviorist.

That was tough though – after switching Odin from Banfield (following a bad experience) to a certified fear-free clinic, our new vet recommended three board-certified DVM/DACVB veterinary behaviorists in Florida. All of them were far away, because of course they were, and I started making calls. It seems crazy to me that someone can be booked out for 6 months, even a year, but with 3 in the whole state I guess I just underestimated demand. That being said, we got so lucky in finding an opening with one such DVM/DACVB in the Tampa area, which is just a two-hour drive away for us. She specialized in positive training methods and had some good reviews, so even though my wallet was wincing, we made the appointment.

… which this past Thursday!

I was nervous leading up to the appointment. We’re finally at the point where Odin likes his new vet after about a month’s worth of victory visits and a crazy amount of peanut butter, but this was a new doctor in a new place. We met in a neutral fenced in play field, and she entirely ignored Odin while we talked (even though he was entirely fixated, pulling on his lead, trying to get towards her), allowing him to assess her on his terms without pressure. It was the same when we went inside, just… totally ignoring him, which is exactly what he needs. We went over his medical history. We talked about his shelter history and possible causes for his eye damage, reviewed videos I had taken… etc etc…

We talked a lot about diet and nutrition, more than I expected actually. My dog is already on Reconcile, but I didn’t know just how many options were actually out there. We talked about the benefits of different supplements that I could try to add, as well as new prescriptions, and all the while… Odin was decompressing. With his muzzle on, he was now sniffing her and checking her out calmly. Begging for a treat once he realized she had some.

After the first cookie, he was a goner, lol. Full on cuddle, trying to be in her lap, belly rub, the works. I have literally never seen this dog act this way with a vet!

While we’re still working on our triggers, I’ve got to say it feels so good to have a plan now, and a but more robust support. We’re trying out some supplements like N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC), omega-3 fatty acids, probiotics, and CBD oil, along with a continuation of fluoxetine (Reconcile), and a new drug for vet visits (one that I rub on his gums) called Sileo. She also sent instructions on teaching Odin a breathing behavior to help him relax – though I’m going to have to teach him how to do it first (wish me luck). There some interesting research about NAC, which I had never heard of before, and the Gut-Brain Axis when it comes to anxiety so I am hopeful about that as well.

From what was explained to me, and I am paraphrasing... NAC is a supplement with many uses, but it's most commonly used as a treatment for toxicity in animals (like when they ingest something with xylitol). Our behaviorist explained that in the brain, there is evidence that this supplement helps to regulate glutamate production so it is not present in high amounts. Turns out that in high amounts, it can be neurotoxic and its been correlated to a few psychiatric disorders and loss of emotional regulation, so this supplement will (hopefully) keep it from being in an excessive amount in his brain.

Of course, discuss with your own vet before you try anything new, though. We are trying these supplements under direct DVM supervision and at levels/doses that are appropriate for my dog. I left dosing info out on purpose because I don't think this is something that people should be DIYing without speaking to a vet first.

Anyway, I know this is pretty long and rambly, but I am so so so so happy that we did this. I learned so much. I was very much on the fence about shelling out the cash for this kind of thing, but I am so glad that I did and I really feel like I have a framework that I can use and will work!!

@hammer118928 This is wonderful news, it was delightful to read and full of hope.

I'm curious about this breathing technique. Do you think they could share any details?

@thedwarf Actually... yes! Here is one of the videos that our behaviorist showed us about the breathing technique featuring Dr. Karen Overall. Its about 15 minutes, and I thought it was really interesting!

@hammer118928 Fantastic, I wasn't expecting a link to a video l. I'll definitely hecl it put tomorrow as it's super late here. Thank you very much. Best of luck to you and Odin.

@hammer118928 Our vet behaviorist changed our lives for the better. She was honest with us, and helped us lay out a plan. The plan is still in place, we work hard every day, but our dog(s) are so much happier. The whole house is less anxious as a whole. Congrats to you, and your fur baby!

@msgtcjl This makes me so happy to read! I really wasn't sure on the front end if it would be worth it (having already started working with a trainer and our regular vet) but she was so patient with us and knowledgeable! Fingers crossed we can similarly reduce stress for him and our household.

@hammer118928 This is a great account of your experience, thanks for sharing. My dog is a more moderate case but I'm still trying to get him into a VB for an assessment. Sounds like it was quite thorough! Hoping to have as positive an experience as you.

@shilop Thank you! And I hope you have the best experience and I hope you find the right fit. I have to say I was really disheartened in the beginning because there weren't many options in my state and cost was another factor - thankfully it worked out. Fingers crossed for you!!

@hammer118928 Thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us! I bookmarked it so I can look back at it in the future, I'm in the process of figuring out what works for my reactive fellow. So interesting about the diet and gut health - I've been thinking about it and it's been in the back of my mind, seems like it's time to put some more effort into that. Thanks again!

@revelation2012 Ah, thank you! I wasn't sure what my goal was for this when writing more than just having no one IRL to explain who would understand why this meant so much to me, lol. I also thought the diet angle was interesting - we've only augmented his diet since Sunday (it took some purchasing to get a few items) and it's too early to say whether or not there's been a change, but I am tentatively optimistic that this will help.

@hammer118928 Haha, I completely understand needing to tell somebody about dog stuff, it's on my mind so much. I would love to hear an update if the food/diet angle ends up positively impacting your dog. I care so much about my own gut health and, as a mental health provider, I recognize the importance of gut health in relation to mental health. Of course it makes sense that it would be true for our animal friends as well!

I hope everything works out for you guys 🤗

@hammer118928 I was so skeptical about a vet behaviorist thinking it’s just more money down the drain but it really helped us so so much.

I’m so glad you had a positive experience. That little boost of confidence really does help so much!!

(We are ex banfield patients as well. Horrible horrible experience for my boy)

@hammer118928 We've only used Sileo once for a vet visit, so a low "sample size," but it seemed to help a lot. Our pup hates getting shots but she tolerated getting 3 different vaccines in one visit!! I hope it works well for y'all too!

@despina That's great to hear! We had been using a tazedone/gabapentin combo which was working well for him, but Sileo can apparently be useful in other desensitization scenarios so I'm very optimistic that it'll be a useful tool

@hammer118928 Looking to use Sileo for noise sensitivity and I am thrilled you found a great Vet Behavioralist. Can you share what brand of NAC you are using too?

Appreciate your sharing details regarding your pup’s journey/progress. Thanks.☺️

@margaretjankowski Hey sorry for the delayed reply! So our vet let us know that any brand is fine, so long as N-Acetyl L-Cysteine is the only ingredient (sometimes there are additives like Selenium or Molybdenum). I’m hesitant to offer specific brands and dosage as I really do think supplements should be discussed prior to adding to your routine, but we found the one we’re using on sale on Amazon :)