Urgent and a long story, so sorry

ahunbleservant

My fiance, Russ, and I have been together for 4 years. He has lived 4 hours away until recently when his grandmother passed and he no longer had to take care of her.
He has 2 pit bulls Bo and Honey. He's had Bo since he found him in the road 7 years ago. Bo was about 12 weeks old and freezing in a snow storm. My boyfriend has babied him ever since in spite of the fact that Bo has nipped at his 80 year old aunt, his 98 year old grandmother, his 20 year old son and him. He's only brought blood when he bit Russ because Bo sleeps with him and Russ was trying to get him to move over.
They found Honey living under a rotten tree in the woods a couple of years ago. She's very fearful but seems okay with other dogs as long as they don't get in her space. She has bitten 1 person. She's around 9.
His dogs were frequently on the run until he got shock collars with the underground fence. They only come back when called if they want to. They usually don't. He's resisted neutering Bo. Honey is spayed.

I have 6 dogs but one is small, old and sleeps all the time. The others are a rott/shepherd mix (124), standard poodle (75), GPyr mix(85), G. Shep (75 and special needs) and a rott/bloodhound mix 14 week old, female. All my dogs are fixed except the poodle. He's been in high demand as a stud dog. None are aggressive, have never bit anyone, and come when called. The poodle has a strong prey drive and has killed raccoons, groundhogs, squirrels, and 3 chickens. I have a board fence with chicken wire around it of about 1/2 an acre. I live on 5 acres. My dogs are socialized from puppy hood.
Now, the problem: Russ and I bought a 200 acre farm deep in the country. He sold his house and brought his dogs here. We introduced them at the new place on the day we closed. We had to stay in my house due to remodeling. The first night, everyone was good. The 2nd night, Copper, mounted Bo and kind of bred him when they both were outside. Russ saw it happening and stopped it. Everyone settled down but Bo started posturing. Russ took everyone outside again. I heard the fight start between Bo and Copper. There was blood from both. Russ made them come in and we kept them separated the rest of the night. Night 3 was Bo posturing and shoving into Copper and Copper growling but no fighting. Russ started staying at the farm with his dogs because we had equipment there.
I took the big dog, Copper and the puppy there with the intent of starting the transition of everyone living there. Their new yard has 3 fenced acres.
The day went well, the evening was good until we were all walking back from the pond. Bo charged Copper and the fight was brutal. Russ dove onto Copper. I grabbed Bo's collar but he wouldn't let go of Copper's neck. Russ had to punch him until he let go. Russ got bitten in each arm by each dog. Everyone had puncture wounds. Bo almost lost an eye and Copper almost lost a throat. I took Copper in the house and cleaned him up. Russ kept Bo outside and I cleaned him up as well. I took Copper and my dogs to the truck but he was looking for Bo the whole time. Russ turned Bo loose after my dogs were in the truck. Bo went to where the fight was, licked the blood, peed on it, and scratched. Then he came looking for Copper and tried to get out of the fence.
I haven't been to my new house since. Russ wants shock collars and muzzles for both and agreed to neuter Bo if I neuter Copper. I don't want any of that for my dog because he's not the aggressor and I can call my dogs off and they mind.
There isn't a behaviorist in our area.
I need serious help because our 4 year relationship is in jeopardy not to mention the wedding next month. Any suggestions are appreciated however, I'm not inclined to use adverse methods for dog training. I'm good with positive rewards and ignoring.
Thanks,
Alexandra

@ahunbleservant It's unfortunate that you don't have a behaviorist in your area. Have you tried to see if anybody does online consultations?

This sounds like a complex issue that is going to lead to serious injury or death. A shock collar is not going to help this situation. If anything, it will likely make it worse (dog sees other dog, gets shocked, thinks it should attack other dog that is causing it pain). Also, a dog in a heightened state of arousal has a lot of adrenaline flowing usually, and a shock collar is not going to be a deterrent at that point.

Muzzles wouldn't be a bad idea. You can train a dog to accept a muzzle if you use a basket style that allows eating treats (also allows drinking and panting). It won't fix anything but could keep everyone safer.

Neutering could possibly help, but it might not. If you are breeding your dog, that may not be something you are willing to do if it's not a guarantee. (Side note: I only advocate breeding if you have done the necessary health tests, you carefully screen the bitch, the owner of the bitch chooses home for puppies wisely, your dog has an amazing temperment, and your dog is a perfect specimen of the breed.)

If it was me, I would keep the dogs separated. I had two dogs that got along 95% of the time, but one would jump the other randomly (most of the time there was no trigger that I could discern). It was awful living with the anxiety. I ended up keeping the aggressor muzzled whenever they were together (and they were ALWAYS supervised). I did that even though they would go months with no issues, and they were 14 lbs and probably weren't going to do enough damage to each other to cause life-threatening injures. Your situation sounds much more dangerous and consistent. I don't know that I would even try the muzzle thing without professional help.

Back