Treats for corgis and honorary corgi (Maltipoo)

livinnlovin

Hello y’all I recently began trying to find a healthier life style for my pups starting small as it’s all I can do. I change their food but what about treats. I was giving them milk bones but after reading more and more I stopped are this articles far fetched. What do y’all recommend

@livinnlovin Treats are treats. Give your dog whatever they enjoy, as long as it’s not raw/freeze dried! All treats should make up less than 10% of their daily calorie intake.

Be mindful about their regular food too; “healthy” diets available are usually not formulated properly.

@livinnlovin Ah I see the milk bone fearmongering has struck again. Let me guess; BHA?

It’s important to remember with any ingredient that dose makes the poison. Absolutely everything our pets consume is deadly poison, at the right dose.

Take chocolate, for example. Chocolate is, in general, toxic to dogs.

If a 70 pound dog eats a single square of a Hershey’s bar, that dog will likely be fine. It is, more than likely, not enough chocolate to do any serious damage.

However if a 5 pound dog eats the same amount of chocolate, it may be at risk for serious illness.

Same if that 70 pound dog ate 10 whole chocolate bars, as opposed to the one square.

It’s the same with chemicals like BHA. BHA is indeed a carcinogen, but not at the dosage in which you’d find in a milkbone.

In all likelihood, the average (~50lb) dog would need to eat several DOZEN boxes of milkbone in one sitting to reach anything close to a carcinogenic dose of BHA.

Even if that were possible, it’s still a CHANCE that the BHA would cause cancer. Not a guarantee, unless you greatly surpass the carcinogenic dose.

TLDR: there’s not nearly enough BHA in milkbones to run the risk of causing health problems in your dog. Unless your dog is downing multiple boxes in a single sitting, you’ve not got much to worry about. Just don’t be excessive with the treats

@bailey2017 Thanks for the info. I currently use the smallest ones available and I still break them in half but they eat about 3-6 whole pieces each maybe every other day depending on how often I have time to practice training so I was worried fs.

@livinnlovin I completely get the worry man, I was in the same boat for a while! Hearing my dogs favorite treat was potentially carcinogenic was worrying as hell lol

It was a huge relief when I found out that it poses virtually no risk

I think it’s also important to remember that the testing done to determine these is done in rats. The cancer found in BHA test subjects was specifically a malignancy of the fore stomach, which is an organ dogs don’t even have!

I dont believe that there’s been any definitively proven cases of normal BHA consumption via food/treats causing cancer in dogs thus far

@livinnlovin I use whatever my pup finds valuable! This includes (spoiler alert my dog loves food):
  • fruit diced into tiny pieces: apples, strawberries, mulberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, raspberries, persimmons, mangoes, etc - we grow some of these and she forages for them sometimes; just have to make sure there isn't too much sugar
  • veggies diced into tiny pieces: broccoli, cauliflower (discovered this one when she ate all our cauliflower plants 💀), carrot, cucumber, sweet potato (dried)
  • freeze dried treats: chicken breast, beef liver, white fish
  • processed treats: Zesty Paws training bites, applesauce (for dogs, no sugar added), peanut butter (again for dogs), random Bark treats, Iceland something collagen bites, some treats from Trader Joe's
  • "human food": bits of string cheese, flakes of grated parmesan when we have pasta, plain yogurt...
  • chews: bully sticks, duck feet, ears, tendons

@livinnlovin We give our corgi a variety!

They are prone to being overweight.

We like
- single ingredient jerky, cut up to treat sizes pieces
- bulk baked specialty treats from a local pet store
- any single ingredient and freeze dried
- making our own goat milk or Greek yogurt ice cubes
- dog safe fruit and vegetables ( blueberry and carrots are a fan favorite here as well as cabbage)

Back