Trainer suggests rehoming our dog - thoughts?

@princeadewale I read about the fear periods. I wish we knew what type of reactivity but I agree. Maybe a second or third opinion could help diagnosis him so we can work through it?

@nihao Definitely get a second opinion. A trainer who does not appear to realize that this is pretty common (maybe even expected) for a dog of this age is not one you should be listening to. You're doing just fine, OP!

@jamesdb Aw, thanks! I’ve been feeling super guilty about his reactivity. He’s not out first dog but he is our first rescue. It’s been a gamble from the get go!

@nihao Interesting that they would suggest rehoming for that reason… a job for a dog doesn’t have to mean a traditional “job”. A lot of people having working breeds just as pets. Nose work and agility training are just a couple things off the top of my head that give the dog something to do like a job without being an actual job. I would maybe look into training programs specifically to teach a skill or something like that

@nihao I think a lot of people have said it, you can give your working dogs a job, without it involving cattle or huge acreage on a farm. I have a working dog, from strong working lines. We’ve certainly had our challenges with reactivity, but it sort of comes with the herding breeding (to some extent ). I think with working dogs, they just need regiment and to keep their minds going. That’s really what a “job” does. With my dog we have pretty structure days, we do a lot of enrichment and mental games. She works for her meals (general obedience/tricks ), and we do a lot of sniffing exercises and tracking in our yard. 5 minutes of sniffing for treats tires her out more than a 30 minute run. These dogs just need their brains to be going, and this helps keep them mentally tired and less focused on other stimuli ( where reactivity can come in ). I’d just really work on enriching your dogs mind, general obedience and boom, they have a job. It’s doing what you ask them to do, and get rewarded.

@nihao If you love the dog and want him as part of your family, absolutely find another qualified trainer to work with you and the dog. You can learn to give him what he needs to get the extra energy out. It sounds like you provide him with a good and loving home and he’s lucky that you are willing to do all you can to make him happy. I think I would step back from any trainer who immediately jumps to rehoming as a solution. There are lots of things you can try before it comes to that. I’m going through something very similar with my 14 month old. We just keep pushing through the issues and know that we will come out the other side with a great dog! Good luck to you.

@nihao I have a nervous herding breed (collie cross) and it has taken a long time to figure out what helps. They definitely have a point with the jobs, but it doesn't mean you need to rehome. It just means you need to keep pup busy. Ours responds well to having clear commands (even if it is just 'sit' or 'down' while I am doing something) and lead training tires her out. Any kind of tug of war games are great, and a flirt pole can really help too. She also loves hide and seek, and tracking games. Anything that helps them vent energy mentally, rather than just physically.

Also, crate train, if you haven't already. They need to learn when to switch off, and a covered crate is great for time out naps. She goes in for 2 hours in the middle of the day, and it helps a lot.

I joined Southend Dog Training, and it's all online. They have really useful videos and trainers that you can talk to via zoom. I've only been following them for a few days, but my pup has responded so well to their training. I highly recommend them!

I've also heard doggy back packs are good for them to have a job on their walks (carrying something helps their focus). I haven't used it yet, but want to try it out.

Also, try flyball and herding balls (yoga balls are great for it). It takes a bit of training, but helps a lot.

Also, work on getting his focus on you. That's a huge thing that has helped us. Get him to sit, but only give the treat once he makes eye contact. It's all about focus and building that bond. I hope this helps!

@amhjunior Our dog is crate and playpen trained. He sleeps in a covered crate. I may try a daytime nap/relaxation time with the cover.

I follow Southend Dog Training on Instagram and have liked their video so far. I’ll look into it some more.

Thank you !

@nihao Just my two cents: I have blocked Southend Dog Training on both Instagram and TikTok because their videos are...controversial. They are "balanced" and I say that in quotes because they definitely lean more towards compulsive, at least from what I've seen. Not a lot of merit given to breed tendencies or genetics, just a lot of blaming owners and over-correcting to shut down dogs.

@imagebeastmarkbeast That's fair! I've had other trainers help out in the past, but Southend seems to be making the biggest difference for my pup. They have full videos when you sign up where you can watch whole home visits, and they explain things in detail in a way that makes sense to me. I've found that they have lots of useful breed specific information, but maybe it's just for the breed I have?

From their videos, facebook group and website, a lot of the training is adapted to what specific dogs need, but I guess you can't cover every need without booking a one to one with them?

I've had no problems yet, and my dog is happier for the training that I am doing from the SDT stuff, so I'll keep going with it, but everybody and every dog is different, so what works for some might not for others :) xx

@nihao I feel your pain. We have a 9 month old Border Collie that is super sweet to everyone he meets, plays great with other dogs, doesn't have leash problems other than when a car comes by. But.. He is highly reactive to cars. We have tried a few things, but so far nothing has really worked. His trainer suggested getting him into some type of sport to give him a job, (and possibly medication, but we haven't gone down that road yet.) He has done an Agility for fun class and a Noseworks for Fun class so far and loved them both. We now do the Noseworks (scent work) at home at night sometimes to give him something fun to do and whenever the weather is really crappy. He loves doing it and is absolutely great at it...but honestly it doesn't seem to wear him out as much as the running at the park though. We go next Saturday to let him try out a herding class. I image that will be more up his alley mentally and physically. He does have some aggressive issues revolving around food though...mainly just his breakfast (not sure why just that meal)...but he will literally give you the stink eye and growl at you..even drooling if you don't walk away after giving him his food. I usually do just that, but I do sometimes drop something special in his bowl off and on to try and let him know that me being near is not a bad thing. Not sure why he does it...but it also shows up sometimes with treats. Just giving them to him he sometimes will act up. He doesn't care about his bones or his toys..but every now and then he will get snarly with a treat. Like this morning...he usually gets to lick the peanut butter off the spoon after I fill up his kong...this morning when I offered it to him he stood there and growled at me...didn't walk to me to lick the spoon...but would respond when I asked him to sit. But if I moved the spoon to him he would stand back up and snarl. I finally just put it in the sink and walked away. Not sure what is triggering it, not like he has been beaten with a spoon of PB or anything...it is normally something he loves. He also got snarly with me last night when I tried to give him one of his mini milkbones after going outside to potty (his normal treat for pottying). I am hoping this will all pass in time if we keep staying consistent.

@nihao Would definitely get other opinions! I have similar issues with my dog and nobody has suggested rehoming, and it's pretty clear that there's anxiety in addition to fear. A couple of 10-15 minute training sessions per day plus weekly agility and nosework has been great for my dog. I highly recommend Fenzi Dog Sports Academy for online classes -- it's a great way to ease into dog sports and learn cool new training techniques (did a fun workshop on teaching dogs to 'mimic' human motions), which could help provide your dog with the mental stimulation he needs and work on confidence and self control, and they also have courses on reactivity/behavioral health that I found helpful. My trainer recommended it to me and it's pretty well-known and respected in the R+ dog training world. You might also want to look at behaviorists that offer online consults in coordination with your primary vet -- for example, I'm in Chicago, and Chicagoland Vet Behavior Consultants (which I haven't used and have no particular opinion of, just an example) only does Zoom meetings, so there's no need to travel.

@nihao I agree with getting another opinion. Since he so young he it easier to break these habitats and train when there younger. But if you are going to rehome him do it when he’s young the longer you keep him the more attached he’ll be. But I wouldn’t just give him away because one person said so, you can definitely work through it and help him. Getting a dog is a lot of responsibility and one of the responsibilities is training and helping them. Just because he has anxiety doesn’t mean he should be given away. Start basic obedience training every single day, reward him for his good behavior, use lots of mental enrichment activities for him! I woukd still try to get an appointment with a Behavioralist, your vet should be able to recommend someone, even if it’s a bit of a drive it would help so much and give you so much insight. Trainers aren’t Behavioralist and sometimes so trainers have no idea what there talking about. You guys sound like you are doing great and I would keep going!

@fudgetusk We are in a pickle. We can keep training him and see if this reactivity lessens but that also means more time with us.

We're meeting with the new trainer on Monday. I wanted to see what this trainer says before I push our vet to seek a consult with a behaviorist on our behalf.

@nihao Definitely get a second opinion. He needs mental stimulation so puzzles and even scent training may be fun.
As well as tricks. Depending on age the kids might be able to help.

@eront CPDT-KA.

The medication comment made me a little wary but then, I’m not an expert at this. It was why I asked on the other post how people picked their trainers. She did come well recommended and she was great as a group trainer.

We will be getting a second opinion. Whether the new trainer say we aren’t equipped to handle our dog or that we can keep trying to train him, I would feel better knowing we tried.

Edited for typos

@nihao Second opinion. I have a 5 year old blue heeler, also a ‘working dog’ he is extremely reactive to other dogs while walking. But he is fine at day care. I suspect it’s a combination of fear, anxiety and thinking he needs to protect. He was recently prescribed medication for his separation anxiety but looks like (possibly coincidence) also helping his reactivity. It can be pretty easy for someone to label a working dog as ‘something’ and thinking they all act the same and have the same tendencies. Trust your gut with what you think is best for your pup and go with it. My boy loves to play and walk but he isn’t overly active driven he is honestly more than happy to just sit next to me on the couch for hours on end.

Positive reinforcement is absolutely key, even the smallest of wins, e.g if he sees a dog or person from a distance and turns back to check in with you quickly let him know that the fact he checked in first and didn’t react was a good thing.

Look up enrichment activities, get that mind stimulated, I’m working with a trainer I wouldn’t class as a behavioural expert but just the training in general and mental stimulation is key for our situation. What works for some won’t work for others there is no guarantee solution but if you believe he is best with you and you can dedicate the time stay positive and try not to get discouraged. So many of us understand what you are going through and sometimes it’s a hard road but you always know you are doing the best you can.