Totally Lost on Dog Food - seeking advice

artziemer

I've had my Pit Mix for about 9 years. For a while I fed her Rachel Rays Salmon food. Then we switched to Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream - because we found out my partners dog is allergic to chicken, so we switched the whole house to that food because its chicken free - and if other dogs had different food he would eat theres somehow. They've been eating this food for a few years. for a little while we tried Pure Balance Fava Bean flavor but can't find it now.

My vet is saying I should get the dogs off of Taste of the Wild because it's Grain-Free which can cause issues. I love my dogs and don't want to give them anything that could hurt them, but I am really struggling to find another chicken-free dog food that isnt grain free, and that is overall good for the whole crew. With my pit getting older, I really want to make sure I am feeding her the best stuff. She is everything to me.

Do you have any recommendations? I have read so much, and yet everything just seems to say that all foods are bad. We cannot afford very expensive food, but I will do all that I can to make it work if its the right food. I was buying the Taste of the Wild in bulk on chewy.

Dogs are

Pit-mix aprx 9-10 years old

Rough Collie: aprx. 7 years old (slightly over-weight)

Little Mutt guy: aprx. 9 years old (chicken allergy)

Chihuahua/beagle mix: aprx. 9 years old

@artziemer Your vet is absolutely right.

Pro plan sensitive skin and stomach (lamb salmon or turkey) or hills pollock and insect are the two main science-backed chicken free foods. Hills lamb and rice had chicken fat which does not typically trigger allergies (no protein chains).

But if the one dog has a real chicken allergy (be aware that they are way over diagnosed by owners) then the only way to ensure no cross contamination of any ingredients is to go on a prescription diet.