To my 70lb reactive boy: I love all the ways your sweet soul shines through, even though you act like a jerkface sometimes

faithnlove

( Feel encouraged to comment with any ways that your reactive and/or aggressive dog brings joy to your life…..you know…..when they’re not increasing your heart rate 😂 ❤️. Idk about y’all but I thrive on wholesome/hopeful content like this.)

Having a high-anxiety/leash-and-barrier-reactive dog has made me hyper aware of things like triggers and thresholds. I notice many things about dogs, in general, that I’d never noticed before. I’m always on the lookout for patterns in my dog’s behavior that might be a red flag or a sign of stress. It can really feel like a tough weight to carry. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t sometimes wish for a break.

Even so…I’ve also realized that there are so many things about my pup that I am grateful for — both in spite of his reactivity, and because of it.

~Sure, he probably looks scary to a surprise passerby on their bicycle (assuming I didn’t see them coming in time to use management techniques). ~Yes, I’ve come back from walks just as on edge as him, many times in tears, overwhelmed by feelings of frustration and even failure. ~And yeah, if we see another animal outside — gawd forbid one that’s running — he screams like a drowning banshee and just might tumble off the curb in an attempt to lunge toward them 🤦🏼‍♀️

~~But you know what?~~

-He listens so well when he’s not panicking (honestly SAME, so who am I to judge?). He is super smart and excited to learn/follow commands. He catches on SO FAST!

—He visibly responds to positive feedback and it melts my heart. I often find myself dumbfounded at just how fucking SMART and GOOD he is 🥺 whether prompted or not.

—If I drop food on the floor, 9 times out of 10 he won’t touch it unless I give him a cue.

—If I tell him to “stay” while tossing treats around the room, he will absolutely not move until he’s released. I’ve admittedly forgotten once or twice (FELT SO BAD), and only remembered after a few minutes…when I saw him sitting in the same spot I left him, watching me like a hawk.

—If his toy rolls underneath a table or tangles with a stray phone cord, or if the cat is in the way, he VERY CAREFULLY assesses the situation instead of diving right in to retreive it. You can see the gears turning in his head while he tries to nuzzle the toy out safely. If he can’t do so without disturbing the roadbloack, then he’ll turn to me for help.

-There are few things more pure than a happy dog chasing a ball. My heart flutters every time I see him playing and emanating joy.

—Same goes for his snuffle mats (i.e. his “blankies”). When he drags it across the house and drops it in front of me, usually letting out a dramatic HUFF in the process, basically saying “PLEASE MAMA GIBB TREATOS NOW”….it’s like a pure shot of serotonin. Straight to the dome. How could I ever say no?

-He is unbelievably gentle with every cat that’s come through our home (I fostered several litters of kittens last year). I’ve seen him process and adjust very carefully around tiny kittens. I swear to gawd he’s done a doggy version of tiptoeing through them, before 😂

(I still feel bad for the feral cats outside, because they’ll never know he’s anything other than a loud beast. Outdoor animals just aren’t the same as indoor animals, in his eyes 🤦🏼‍♀️)

-He doesn’t resource guard. I didn’t know I was grateful for this until connecting with other reactive/aggressive dog parents, and seeing just how common and serious it is. My heart goes out to folks managing that with their pups, and I don’t hold judgement or criticism toward y’all! I just recognize that we’re fortunate to not add that struggle to our list.

—He has no issue with us taking things out of his mouth (playfully; otherwise he responds to “drop it”) or inspecting his teeth.

-Being a socially-anxious introvert, myself, I actually kinda like that he deters strangers from approaching us outside 🤷🏼‍♀️

—If any creepers consider coming at me, I’m certain he’d scare them off long before they act on it.

—As a female in a dense city, I feel 100% safe while alone at home with him. Willing to bet most people on this block have seen me walking/working with this strong-boii (APBT x Amstaff x Boxer x Etc.)…and I doubt anyone ever feels the urge to enter our home without permission LOL

This is a semi-regular reminder to myself to appreciate my non-human companions at every opportunity ❤ We’re really not that different in a lot of ways (especially as a neurodivergent human with an anxiety disorder).

Each animal is a complex individual. They come with a wide range of intelligence, experience, and emotions. There will always be parts of them that make life better, while other parts present challenges. What’s best for one won’t be best or another. All we can do is our very best, as their guardians, to love them and provide good quality of life (whatever that looks like to them).

Thanks for reading my mega-brain-dump. I hope you’ll feel like sharing the silly, sweet, lovable parts of your otherwise difficult doggos in the comments 🙏🏻

(Edited bc formatting issues)

@faithnlove I connected with your post a lot and I feel like our dogs have similar temperamenta and personalities. I totally agree it's important to not get caught up too much in the struggles and enjoy what makes you and your dog's relationship special.

Edit: grammar

@faithnlove i just wanted to say thank you for this post, it has brought me to tears and i gave my reactive angel a cuddle (he hated it) and a bunch of treats (he loved them) in response. they’re good dogs. maybe the best. thanks for the reminder 💞

@hldawson3 💕 I’m really glad to hear that! It truly came from the heart. As much as I think many of us still mourn the loss of “the dog we thought we would have”, I can’t help but think how lucky we are 🥺 The kind of bond you form with a reactive dog is truly a priceless life lesson — at least, that’s the case for me. Learning their language on such a deeper level will affect my relationship with animals forever, in the best way possible.

Sending treats galore for your pup! (I’d say hugs, too, but…he’s probably had enough of that LOL)

@faithnlove yes, so much of this! i got him when i moved to a new city, was striking out as an adult in the world for the first time. i wanted him to be a way for me to make new friends and connections, a friendly dog who went up to strangers and unfamiliar dogs. instead he taught me about myself, about respecting boundaries, even unspoken ones, and helped set me down the path to my current career as a dog trainer. he’s also my best friend, and the best roommate a girl could ask for.

so yeah, i’m pretty grateful that i wound up with him. plus, who else would he live with? he hates everyone. as do i. so obviously we’re a perfect match. he also says thanks for the treats but uhhh, when is dinner?

@hldawson3 So so SOOOO relatable. I often look back at my previous expectations of what a healthy dog (and a responsible dog owner) "should be" -- and I really just had no clue AT ALL.

Growing up with dogs, being a complete animal geek my whole life, having passion about animal welfare and rescue efforts -- none of that prepared me for the complex reality of dog behavior.

It's honestly baffling how little most people really know (especially wannabe "experts" who aren't actually credentialed in science-based canine behavior). it just goes to show how important it is that we advocate for our pups, and for others who share their struggles.

I don't know you, but I'll still say that I'm super proud of you for taking the steps to be a dog trainer! We need more professionals out there who actually understand what they're doing, and who can teach up-to-date behavioral science to dog guardians who don't know any better.Dealing with people will be the hardest part, and I commend you for taking on that challenge for the dogs' sakes

@faithnlove this comment omg 🥹 you absolutely radiate positivity!!

i just applied for a position as a dog trainer and i am going to take this energy with me into the interview process, provided i make it that far, fingers crossed!, and the confidence it has imbued me with for long after.

your dog is clearly so very lucky to have such a wonderful human. may we all continue to advocate so fiercely and with such grace and kindness for our dogs who are so often misunderstood. thank you for this, truly.

Back