Taking in a "rehomed", older dog and potential issues

jmarc

All,

My wife and I are looking for a new addition to our home. We've owned dogs before and they are very much our babies. We are both retired, therefore, older (60's). I want to adopt a dog that is being rehomed, any age from 3 months to 2 years old. Due to the economics of owning a dog these days, there are many being "rehomed", here in FLA. I also think it will be more cost effective to get a rehomed dog than a new puppy.

My wife wants a puppy. She has concerns that an older puppy or 1,or 2 year old will not see her as mommy and will bite her. I don't know where this fear of being bitten comes from, we've adopted from a rescue before and the doberman, who was 1 y/o, never bit anyone. But, she really against a dog older than a puppy. Of course the puppies she likes start at $600 and go up to $1,500, so far. But, I would rather take someone's pup, or young dog that needs to go rather than the dog ending up at the shelter. I would ask a lot of behavior questions before brining any rehoming dog into the house. Plus, we would meet the dog in question.

Any opinions on how rehomed dogs react to the new owners? I suppose it depends on the breed and the individual dog, but I don't see why a dog would bite someone who is taking care of its needs properly. How has your experience with a "rehomed", dog gone?

Thank you.

@jmarc My childhood dog was one who was rehomed 4 times before ending up in a foster home where we adopted him. To say he was a fantastic dog would be an understatement. He was great with me and my little sister, my parents and grandparents.

On the other hand, I worked at a doggy daycare and a family had a dog they bought from a breeder as a puppy. This dog had bit someone on our staff and the owners, as well as the owners young children. This dog was a goldendoodle.

So much besides age determines whether or not a dog will bite. Temperament, training and genetics all play into it.

Puppies are also very mouthy when young. There’s the possibility of one nipping just because that’s what puppies are prone to do.

If you’re in North America, Petfinder.com is a great resource to look at dogs! You can sort by breed, age, good with kids, etc.! Usually after living with someone in their home, foster owners have a good idea of a dog’s temperament and whether or not they’ll bit. I hope this helps! If there’s any other questions you have I can try and answer them. Best of luck!