Rehomed my puppy, but have the chance to get her back. Is it a good idea?

@jasonws There’s an old pug in my neighborhood named Roscoe and I’m obsessed with him. I love pugs and would love to have one some day. They are just so cute!! I can’t even imagine how cute a pug puppy is! Was not trying to disparage pugs or shihtzu! Just that working breeds are in a class of their own as far as energy and needs

@imagebeastmarkbeast Oh I know you weren't! Pugs are wonderful dogs. Mine is even a great puppy but just wanted OP to know they are not complete couch potatoes as puppies. You are absolutely right about the working breeds though. You basically have to be a marathon runner to keep up with them! I actually think a pug would be a great breed for OP but just maybe not a puppy.

@areelius Best not to, that poor dog being ping pong back and forth. Most likely you will end up rehoming again and that is tough for the dog. Adolescence is hard and that is a hard breed. Two fierce working breeds mixed together. Not for the faint of heart. Adolescent puppies are still puppies but with more energy and big and strong.
Side note, why do people gift puppies? You really have to be in the right mind frame for a puppy especially an energetic breed. It’s crazy to me. I wish people would stop doing that!

@imagebeastmarkbeast I hear you. It’s hard to hear but I understand and see where you’re coming from. Also yeah I’m sure.. They are making it sound like eventually they’ll rehome her regardless because 4 dogs is a bit much, so I don’t believe her current place is permanent, which sucks but ultimately what matters is she ends up in a good long term home.

@areelius I understand you are worried about where the dog would end up. That is totally normal because you do love the dog. It’s a tough spot to be in. I only hope the breeder will rehome to a safe and appropriate home. This is why people should not backyard breed. Nothing good ever comes of it and the only one who suffers in the end really, is the dog :(

@areelius Sounds like a bad idea. You are in love with the idea of having a dog not actually having one, especially a high energy one.
Also a 5 month year old puppy requires a lot more than a younger one. It will be more active, sleep less, and will be less likely to listen.

Change your lifestyle first for a longer period of time, then consider a dog. It’s naive the other way around.

@areelius So walking my dog is my favorite part of my day. I find it incredibly relaxing, I love the routine of it. I like having an important reason to force me to get outside and fresh air into my lungs. No matter the weather. I listen to more podcasts now. I know more neighbors and I know the names of every dog on our block.

But to be perfectly honest, walking her takes up a lot of my time.

My partner does the morning walk, we alternate on the mid-day walk and I do the evening walk.

If you don’t have anyone to help you with regular walks and exercise and excursions / enrichment and playtime, it could be a lot - especially if you aren’t use to it. It’s a big commitment.

Your dog deserves those walks and having her exercise goals met. If you can’t or won’t make the changes needed to provide that long term, it would be selfish to take her back and incredibly unfair to the dog.

Get a cat or a lower energy breed.