Switched from Open Farm to Hill’s Science

summer010

After reading the literature here and doing my own research, I’ve decided to transition Ollie (male, intact, 1 y.o. Bernedoodle) to a WSAVA-approved diet. He was doing really well this past year on a variety of Open Farm’s dry food - we’ve fed the puppy and ancient grains one, beef raw mix, chicken raw mix, and most recently salmon and ancient grains. We also mix a bit of fresh lightly cooked food for toppers and even cook him some fresh chicken liver and hearts. Yes, he’s spoiled rotten.

Recently he’s grown less interested in his food. That, combined with my concern that his diet isn’t truly balanced / backed by science, led us to finally do the switch to Science Diet.

I guess as a first time dog owner, I let the fearmongering and marketing get to me early on. I’ve always been apprehensive to try PPP/Hills/RC. But I’m glad that I switched, because Ollie absolutely loved the Hill’s Science Diet Perfect Digestion Salmon and brown rice recipe! Originally we wanted to go with PPP salmon formula for sensitive skin and tummies, but a ton of dogs have reacted poorly to the recent formulation change.

I guess I just wanted to say thank you to everyone here for helping us make the switch!

Fingers crossed the transition goes smoothly.

@summer010 I feel you. I fell behind the whole boutique brands fad and after coming to Reddit switched to Purina.

I was pretty apprehensive and tbh still feel guilty sometimes with how much people on social media bash the few big companies and how heavily they push their food. But overall I’m happy with Purina and following science backed articles I feel more comfortable with what I’m feeding.

@mufudzi Right? I’m so glad to hear that others feel the same. I think what’s tough for me is that I see validity in both sides of the argument. Intuitively, it does makes sense to me that “better” ingredients would equal a healthier pup. But I really don’t want to take a chance and risk my dog’s health for a what if.

@summer010 And the crazy thing is I don’t even know half the time what they mean by better ingredients? Like by-product is organs in Purina. My dog goes crazy for liver, chicken hearts, dried out rabbit feet and ears! It’s important for him to get those meats.

But the way they push online, video after video it’s like wow…

@summer010 We have a bernedoodle too, she’s very picky, we tried the PPP sensitive skin and stomach and she wouldn’t go for it so we settled on the shredded blend. Vet recommended Iams but we switched her after doing some research.

@summer010 “Ancient grains”, “beef raw mix” and “”chicken raw mix” is marketing for the owners. Keep it basic, fish, beef, chicken and vitamins and minerals is all they need. Stick to national brands that have been around for a very long time. As you have done. Don’t worry be happy!

@summer010 I have a 13 year-old, 7-lb Papillon who had been on Science Diet Dental kibble for most of her life -- it's huge kibble, but she loved chomping it so I let her keep eating it.

Now, she's had some tooth extractions so I bought a range of smaller kibble (2 other Science Diet varieties for small breeds and Purina Beneful), but she started going to paw at the closet where I still keep the bag of SD Dental kibble. This evening I smashed some of the huge pieces with a hammer, and she ate the crumbles with so much joy. This is after also having Pedigree chicken and rice canned food to make sure she's eating enough calories.

She really, really loves the original food.

(My vet said stick to Purina and Science Diet with enough years of research to prove they are safe -- these brands that are all marketing about what your dog should have (grain-free, organic) are just trying to sell you something based on human trends.)

@summer010 My previous dog was on Natural Balance, current dog went through a lot of different things - raw, online only kibble, grain free kibble, freeze dried, and air dried. She ended up on Hill's Prescription Diet for a year because of her tendency to have loose poops. It must have been really bland because she was never very interested in it.

Two months ago we ditched the Hill's (she's not required to be on it) and all the supplements for Royal Canin GSD and Maxi wet/Pro Plan wet (Maxi is so expensive!) after we got a new bag of Hill's and she refused to eat it.

She's got great appetite and poos now! Really soft and shiny fur too. It's also cheaper than buying Prescription Diet plus the various supplements.

@summer010 I feed my dog a of kibble and fresh cooked food because I know I don’t have the knowledge to guarantee a fresh food diet with everything balanced. I feed her N&D kibble with a mix of fresh cooked protein and veg. My vet recommended because she’s extremely picky to eat kibble.

Back