Switched from Acana to Purina Pro Plan -- Immediate improvements

@ivorysnow I did the same. Was so surprised my girl actually had more energy on it. Only 1 out of 4 is still on Acana and I've tried so hard to get him on a grain inclusive that agrees with him. He came to me with bronchitis, kennel cough and was anemic, is prone to skin issues and can't have anything with chicken or oatmeal in it. I've tried every single food on the shelf and for some reason my boy thrives on Acana.

@ivorysnow Thanks for the info! I’m slowly switching my two pups from Blue Buffalo puppy food to PPP adult. They are just up to about 25% PPP now, but their poops are already firmer!

@ulcnetwork Royal canin and hills have grain free prescription foods . Mine has been on grain free hydrolyzed protein food by Royal Canin for half a year. She is likely to try a novel protein by RC , rabbit and potato which is also grain free . Imo it’s more that boutique brands like acana don’t have a proper vet nutritionist or enough rigorous testing to get vitamin and nutrition levels right on their foods .

@kathyjesus10 Grain free is a fad - dogs require some grains in their diets- DCM is a real big issue with grain free foods/diets - my previous dog had heart issues I'm quite sure partially from grain free food (acana and orijen)

If you're concerned about allergies be aware that most food allergies in dogs is related to the proteins (chicken, beef, lamb) not the grain content. You need a vet to diagnose food allergies properly.

@hevin7th I did all that and the vet suggested the grain free food. She was a pit/boxer mix and I'm pretty sure that the grain free dog food is what killed her. She was only 5. She was allergic to quiet a few things, sadly.

@ivorysnow I’m glad it worked for you! I had the exact opposite experience trying to switch my puppy (now 1 yo) to PPP. Constant diarrhea, acid reflux, and vomiting. Just goes to show use a dog food that works for your pup 🙌

Back