Spending standards are different for our dogs. Who thinks the same?

brookem

So I’ve been eyeing this $110 running shoes online as I badly need a new one and while I def do have the money, I’m so frugal I question myself 20x if I should spend the money.

Meanwhile my dog been having diarrhea/loose stool on and off for a week now, he’s acting normal but bland diet is barely working. Vet couldn’t take him in till later this week and while the vet doesn’t think it’s an immediate emergency, I’m so impatient I called the urgent care nearby so we could just do some quick tests. They said just the visit is $100 plus additional fees for whatever test/treatment was needed. I’m thinking “hmmm not bad I’ll be there in n out by today if it’s not serious”. Lol I’m just cracking up thinking about that same $100 I’ve been holding onto for a week now needing some new shoes. But my wallet is quick to open for anything my dog needs, no question if I got it, he can have it.

I do the same with his toys, treats, food. My spending standards are just different if it’s for my dog vs for me lol.

@brookem I live paycheck to paycheck and just bought a house with a mortgage that has me sweating, but you better believe that every time I walk into petco I make it rain like I’m at a Las Vegas strip club

@kris855 So effing true. I haven’t been to a mall or a clothing store in a year, but a pet store??? A couple new cat treats and a few rubber balls and bones sound great.

@brookem We just spent 50 dollars on lean ground beef and chicken breasts to make treats for our dog... and hot dogs for us for dinner.

@brookem Money gif something one of our pets needs will always come before something that is a want.

You my guy ask your vet if while you wait if probiotics would be of any help as they do make some specific for dogs.

@juhi Got home from the vet, got some antibiotics, fecal exam (still waiting for results) and probiotics like you suggested, thanks!

@brookem When we rescued our dog last year, we knew he had been wandering the street, but we have no idea how long for, we only know he was starving and about 15 pounds underweight. He had a lot of GI issues due to trash hunting and really couldn’t hold his bladder for more than an hour.

The vet started him on Proviable chewables and we’ve discovered he does best if we keep him on it rather than stopping. He is also on a low-fat prescription food and we keep Cerenia on hand for if he gets an upset belly.

I figured his vet bills before we discovered keeping him on the Proviable as a daily med were honestly worth me working hard. There’s nothing more rewarding than that big smile he gives me when I come home, or the snuggles at night (he prefers to sleep in between me and my husband, spoiled brat!)

@juhi One of my dogs gets diarrhea frequently so I always keep a probiotic on hand for her. Vet prescribed Endurosyn. It works a charm. Comes in what looks like a weird hypodermic. You turn the dial based on weight, then push the plunger, out comes the prescribed amount. She loves it. It’s very tasty for dogs. See if they’ll prescribe her that.

@godwitness hahah this made me laugh! I can only assume those are pricey as yeti is an expensive brand (to me at least) plus I didn’t even know they ventured out to dog bowls lol

@brookem I have a savings account for trial entries (dog sports) AND a savings account for dog related emergencies. Together, those get more money then my personal emergency savings account.

@brookem I went to the city the other day (only go 1-2 times a month)

Spent $100 at first store just on dog toys.
Went to 2nd store to look at shelving for work - walked out with 2 more dog toys and a new dog bed ($70)
3rd store: bought 4 dog jackets and a new long line (another $100)
Went to the supermarket, 25% of the bill was cat food and dog treat.

Was a very successful day!!

I frequently think about doing several things on my time off - like going to the movies, or doing some shopping, or even getting takeaways because I can’t be bothered cooking after work, but will generally decide against it because the cost of fuel is crazy expensive (I live rurally so 30min drive minimum to anywhere decent). Yet I’m happily driving to and from town 3-4 times a week for dog training!!