Something else to consider about Crate Training

xcskierboy

Disclaimer: This post is intended for pups who are either making solid progress on crate training, or are fully crate trained.

tl;dr RESPECT THE SAFE SPACE

The #1 rule for crate training is, and shall always be, to never use the crate as a punishment. The reason is because we, as puppy parents, want our pups to feel like the crate is a safe and comforting place to be.

On the flip side of that, I'd like to offer another perspective - try to not let the pup feel like they CAN'T stay in their crate for comfort. If they go to their crate on their own, leave them be!

Obviously exceptions apply like if they run to the crate when they hear the word "vet" or "bath" (though to pre-empt this I've found that cutting off access to the crate helps), but unless there's a dire need to get them out of their crate, let them stay in there as long as they want. If they go there on their own for any reason and you drag them out, then their crate isn't a place where they can reliably go to feel safe and comfortable on their own.

Even Velcro Dogs need to feel confident that there's a place they can go for their own peace and quiet, even if that's only when they're left alone. My corgi Typo loves hanging out with us, but every now and then he'll just want to go and just chill in his crate. I've also caught him sleeping in his crate when I come home from work more often than I've seen him waiting in the hallway.

Puppy Tax of Typo in his safe space!

@imagebeastmarkbeast Yes this ! Very important. Timeout or more "cooldown time" isn't the same as punishment or as an immediate time out when puppy is naughty, this is what the playpen or spare room is for. Once the "timeout" has passed but puppy still needs to calm down, that's when I use the crate for "time out/ cool down"

@imagebeastmarkbeast My dog has anxiety issues. When she gets herself super worked up, where she starts getting bitey or pushing her luck with my cats, she goes in her crate. People give me shit for it (not online) because they assume I’m punishing her but all I’m doing is putting her somewhere where I know she’ll feel safe and calm down. And the change is almost always within a minute or two.

I’m not going to allow her stress levels to keep building if I can help her.

@fola I do the same thing with my puppy! He hasn't shown interest in going to the crate on his own but he sometimes goes under the couch as a means to calm down. There have been times when he's super tired and it comes out in biting and nipping at clothes so I put him in the crate right away. There's no complaining and he's down for a nap in a couple minutes.

@fola Same! The only time I use it as “punishment” is when my puppy chases the cat. He usually ends up running in there in fear of getting in trouble, hence his safe space. So I lock the door, let him calm down, and then still give him treats to keep it positive. Hasn’t hadn’t an adverse effect on the crates positivity and it works for us!

@imagebeastmarkbeast Yes I’m glad I’m not the only one! Sometimes our pup gets overtired or is just having a moment where he needs a reset (he’s almost 8 months old) so there’s times we put him in his crate for that and it’s been such a big help. Dogs are like people and puppies are like children, sometimes they just need a moment to reset themselves and/or rest for everybody’s benefit!

@imagebeastmarkbeast We don't scold or punish our puppy, ever. We put him him his crate when he gets too bitey or wild because 9/10 times it means he needs a nap. Can you ever really use the crate as punishment if you do positive reinforcement only? How would he ever make the connection between us being mad and the crate if we don't get mad at him?

@daniel9v9 I mean no, that's my point but technically if he is biting and doing undesirable behaviours and you put him in his crate removing access (even in a positive way) that is still punishment because you remove something to stop a behaviour.

@xcskierboy Our 5 month old corgi loves her crate. We feed her and have her rest and sleep in there.

We're now having difficulties getting her out of the crate at times. She used to be really excited to go on walks (to potty), so she'll jump out of the crate and head downstairs. But lately in the mornings, she stays in her crate when we call her to "come here". Once she comes out, and she sees our leash or sees us walking down the stairs, she'll walk back in her crate to sit. This is a double edged sword for us because we're glad she loves her crate and feels it as a safe place, but doesn't come to us when called.

@princess34 Typo's done this with us a lot too. Best way we've been able to get around it is when he does come out, we shut his crate so he can't go back to it, then take him out, and when we're back in we'll open it up again.

@xcskierboy Any advice for if they get back into the crate before you can shut the door? Mine won't let me get near enough to shut the door before she rushes back in.

@princess34 I am going through the same thing and unfortunately don’t have the time before work to let her sit in there and wait for her to come out so she can go potty and eat breakfast. I’m at a loss of what to do other than drag her out at the last possible minute 😕 Let me know if you come across a solution!

@tzeyen We were told NOT to drag her out because it's her safe space. There are times where I practice recall training by having my pup go onto her bed and come "here" and repeat (back to bed, back here, back to bed, back here). And if she doesn't come here, grab her collar or leash and bring her "here". Do this until she's dead tired because she'll understand that she must come "here" when called. But we don't do this exercise with her crate because it's her safe space.

This past weekend, I counted her going back into her crate 4-5x one morning. It took 40 minutes to get her downstairs. And how I did it was to finally put a leash on her, pick her up, and carry her down. I'd get her to come out of her crate and to the top of the stairs, but only to go back to her crate so I had to resort to picking her up. That's my only solution for now..

On second thought, after typing all of this, our trainer did tell us to open her crate at random times and just walk away (no command to come here). It's to confuse her or to let her know that there are times that you let her out to just be out rather than go for a walk. Give that a shot! But beware if your pup isn't potty trained when you do let her out at those random times to keep an eye on her.

@princess34 I was told not to drag her out as well but at this point it’s that or leave her in the crate and risk her going potty and being hungry all morning in it until my husband goes home at lunch. I open the door soon after I wake up and walk away; she will sometimes venture out but as soon as she sees me she walks back into her crate. Her crate is always open when she’s out and about in the house as well. I’m at a loss. She also won’t come out for treats.

@xcskierboy I have a unique problem related to crate training. Sometimes I get so excited that she's going into her crate by herself, I praise her and jump around because I'm so happy. Unfortunately, this has the corollary effect of her also leaping out of her crate to join in the happy dance.

There is just no pleasing some floofers.

@drumz Rather than exorbitant praise in these moments, try calmly walking over and just giving her a ton of high-value reward treats inside the crate then walk away ;)