Should I bring my other dog when I put my dog with cancer down?

I think about what I would want if my best friend/ sibling died. It would hurt immensely but I’d rather know what happened than be left wondering where my buddy went, and for animals the only way they can know is to see the animal who has died.

@oldaussie Yes. My poodle legit put his head down and cried real tears the entire way home from the vet after putting down his life long companion. He moped and cried for a month. Animals grieve too. Allow them that honor.

@oldaussie Absolutely yes, they bond with their siblings and they need to know and grieve too… animal grief is a real thing and it’s serious just like for us human.
I’m sorry your dog has cancer, make sure to give him plenty of kisses and cuddles before it’s time.

@oldaussie Definitely better if Tiberius can have a chance to say goodbye to Turk and smell him after the euthanasia, even if he isn’t in the room when it happens. It makes all the difference.

I’ve unfortunately had to say goodbye to four dogs and for three of them we were able to have our other dog with us at the vet. For one of them, we dropped him at the emergency vet (took our other dog for the drive as he had separation anxiety) and they thought he would be OK to see vet in the morning for treatment but he didn’t last that long and died. Our other boy did not cope well at all and kept waiting for his brother to come home.

Sorry to hear that you will be saying goodbye to your boy soon. Cancer is awful :(

I’m sure he knows how loved he is.

Make sure you ask the vet about anxiety meds for Tiberius if he isn’t coping well afterwards, he may need a little bit of medication to help for a little while but obviously see how he goes.