Shop with me! - first time poodle owner getting grooming products

guevaraj

Hi Groomers :) I'm a first time mini poodle owner. I lived with a shepherd for a long time and I must say, it's a different experience all around.

https://preview.redd.it/qxt08xzqzpa...bp&s=d025387ed92c37fb91424c90f8bcd3116d25bb40

My main concern is the matting - esp. ear tips and the distal limbs. I was recommended OMG detangling spray, so I thought I'd get a few things while at it. Do you think they're suitable for my dogs? Would you swap any of them for another?

My pups are: 6mo black mini poodle with tight curly hair and 7mo red mini poodle with wavy hair

They live an active life - weekly beach visit, exploring every corner of the backyard (to my partner's dismay), daily walk etc. So, admittedly staying matt free is not their priority lol

Current schedule:
  • 6-8 weekly groomer
  • a rinse with warm water or Aloveen conditioner + spot washing dirty areas every 2-3 weeks
  • A weekly brush down
Thanks

@guevaraj The best investment you could make is in a velocity dryer. It doesn’t have to be anything super fancy. The one from the brand Shelandy on Amazon is good for the price ($85). If you want to splurge, Flying Pig makes really nice professional grade dryers that are cost effective. A dryer will do more for you than any brush, conditioner, or detangler. Since they do lead such active lives and don’t go to the groomers too often, I think giving them a bath and a blow dry every 2-3 weeks would do wonders for you (along with your weekly brushing sessions of course). If either of them has dry skin and can’t handle that bathing schedule, then waterless shampoo can go a long way.

Moisture makes matting sooooo much worse. So when they go swimming, frolic in the rain, etc. drying them with a velocity dryer (even if you didn’t give them a bath) will go so far.

@chaz1268 Hey that's a really good advice! Thank you :D I was wondering if I should invest in a high velocity dryer or not. Until your comment, I couldn't justify the expense for something I use once every 2-3 weeks but I didn't think about using it after the swim/play in the rain too. Much appreciated :D

@guevaraj I have 3 poodles (toys and mini) and the high velocity dryer is the best thing to spend on! I do all my own grooming and don’t worry much about the shampoos/conditioners; a regular brushing/combing, a bath, and blowout do the most, everything else is just icing.

@guevaraj Honestly I would rather bathe, dry, and lightly brush a poodle weekly than brush out a dirty dog weekly. If it were my dogs I'd make a routine of a bath and dry after every forest walk. But that really depends on how much you mind bathing

@guevaraj Gonna be real, I use that high velocity dryer for more than bath time. They come in really handy in a rainy day. Mine has started living on the counter near the front door so when we come back from a rainy walk I can just pop the pup in the bathroom and dry her off. We are both much happier, saves my furniture without having to crate her to dry off.

Back