Sending a rescue ACD to training

larymac47

Hello,

I posted this in the dog training subreddit as well, but thought I might get some good advice here that was more pertaining to the breed.

I recently rescued a 1ish year old red boy from a high kill shelter who was scared to death and facing euthanasia. They killed 15 dogs the day after I got him for “space”. I’ve had him about 2 weeks. He’s very sweet and not scared anymore like he was in the shelter, and his previous owner seemed to have given him some basic training as he knows sit, down and come (sorta without distractions). It doesn’t seem like he was abused or anything like that. He was an owner turn in with no negative notes so my guess would be someone didn’t have time for him.

I’d love to get him in a solid training program asap because I can tell he’d really benefit from it and myself as well. I’ve been researching programs in my area and found a very reputable one, but it’s a 3 week board and train and I don’t know when an appropriate time to send him considering I just got him. Ideally I’d like to send him in about a month when my work schedule gets a little hectic for a bit.

I’d love any thoughts on this. I don’t want to jump the gun and have the little guy think that I got rid of him. Of course, this would be nothing like the shelter as he’d be on a ranch and get to play with other dogs and spend all day training, which I’m sure he’d enjoy.

Thank you!

@larymac47 Don't send him away to a board and train. Look up the 3-3-3 rule and take the pressure off while he gets comfortable and then start working with a force free dog trainer who works with you and your dog. Cattle dogs are a lot of work and they are very attached to their owners. It will take time for you to see his real personality so be patient and don't expect too much too soon. He's also in prime adolescence so you are probably in for a wild ride. Be patient and be committed and don't make any assumptions about him for a while. Work on crate training, learn about reactivity, and just keep researching the breed.

@larymac47 Why do you need a board and train? Preferably you’d do something that builds your bond and teaches you as well as the dog, especially as you said in this early stage of the relationship. Also I don’t know how you feel about aversive methods, but many board and trains use them. That can cause issues in sensitive dogs, issues you weren’t even dealing with prior.

What training do you want him to get? We do obedience and trick training with positive reinforcement methods and it’s fun for him and us. He loves it and it’s good stimulation. A professional is not a bad idea, but be aware anyone can call themselves a dog trainer and anyone can skew reviews in their favor.

@larymac47 i would definitely advise against a board and train! it'll take time for him to fully settle into his new home and you'll likely see changes in his behavior (positive or negative) as he settles. the best thing to do now would be to start to get them into a routine and create structure for him. trick training is a breeze with acd's and its a great way to build a bond so you can allocate 10-15 mins of each day for stuff like that. lifestyle training and structure will help with having him assimilate to your daily life, so long as you give him proper outlets.

@larymac47 It's wonderful to hear about your rescue and your commitment to providing him with a loving home and proper training. It sounds like he's made a great transition from the shelter to your care. THANK YOU FOR SAVING HIM!!

Regarding a board and train program, while these can be effective for some dogs, it’s important to consider the potential emotional impact on a dog that has recently been rescued, especially from a high-kill shelter. These programs can range from intensive to abusive, and the sudden separation after moving to a new home might will be very stressful for him. Given his history and the fact that he's just beginning to settle in and trust his new environment, you should consider working on a training program that involves both of you.

Try beginning with local training classes or even private sessions that both of you can attend. This way, he continues to build confidence and learns to look to you for guidance and reassurance.

Feel free to DM me if you want suggestions for local trainers or classes. Depending on where you are - I’m happy to make suggestions or look at trainers to identify any red flags.

@larymac47 Seconding the 3-3-3 rule. We rescued our girl at 10 months, very (very!) anxious. Couple of weeks in we really didn’t know if we could cope.

By three months she was - well, just a deaf year old red amount of work!

@larymac47 Board and train, no no. Learn to train him yourself. Training is about the relationship, not the dog as a product. Same reason you can't send your spouse to a program and then harvest a better spouse, uh-hum.