Seeing my dog for only one week every 3 months

prodigalchild87

I’ve recently been assigned a position abroad, and I’m away for 2-3 months at a time. I also recently ended a relationship with my long time partner - we have a dog. The dog will live with my ex while I’m away for work. On my next days off, I’ll only be home for one week, and friend recently told me I shouldn’t go see my dog, because it’ll make him sad to only see me for such a short time before I leave again. I feel like my dog would be happy to see me, even if only for a few days (I’m most definitely his favorite human), and it would make me soooo happy to see him too….in fact, it would be one of the only reasons I’d even come home for that random week. What do you guys think? Torture for the dog, or a loving visit??

@prodigalchild87 I think it depends, you should try it but after you visited ask your ex how the dog responded.

Your dog has to get used to a new situation where you’re not around, that takes time.
You showing up after a few months just as the dog had gotten used to the new situation will probably confuse him. Don’t get me wrong, the dog will be really happy to see you. But when you leave again after a couple of days he might just be confused, anxious and sad all over again. To keep doing that to him would be cruel IF that is how he reacts.
So visit him and then ask your ex how the dog is behaving in the days after you’re gone again.
If he can handle it, keep seeing him.
If it stresses him out too much it might be better to stop seeing him.

Back