Fosters claim issues I’m not seeing

@sodaboy lol, my sister-in-law's collie butt nips to herd me and play nipped my arm when I when to get him after being tied out. The dog adores me.

@natsu I’m suspecting mouthy sorts of behaviors are semi normal until worked out. My girl now nibbles at times and I’m torn between thats not ok and its a sign of affection (in her case). Leaning towards what keeps her safe and reducing the behavior.

@sodaboy Its really crazy how different times are. I remember relatives having trained guard dogs that would nip at ppl and nothing was thought of it. Have relatives who have had small yappers that bit and broke skin but it was laughed off because it was a small dog and we were bigger kids, not babies.

As for the current situation, I have seen some gentle, play mouthing action but nothing directed at me that I worried on. We’ll avoid tug toys for now to be safe and observe but she doesn’t like them much to begin with.

@caelesto isn't it just. I grew up with a cocker spaniel, there's at least 5 people that instantly come to mind that he BIT. Like, fullon, chomped on them. He was such a crazy wonderful character thou, after the initial palava of blood and chaos, it was only the once someone mumbled that "that dog should be put down".

Let us know how it goes with pupper. If he is a canaan you may be "lucky" and it's a herding nip. Non dog people, or non working dog people, have a hard time reading herders.

@sodaboy Update: she definitely shows nibbling behaviors. She isnt trying to bite it seems. And it seems to happen more with play. But I can say she and I are working things out and she isn’t full on biting things.

We have a trainer. We are working on the needed things. We have had some successes. I hope to post a good update in due time. Wanted to thank you for your encouragement.

@caelesto Thanks for the update, so good to hear that you got her and you're both making progress 🥹

As further encouragement I can say that you're still early on in your relationship. Don't sweat the details for a good 6 months. It's ok, there'll be set backs, worries, but at the end of the day you're doing progress and that's all that matters.

My malinois scared the living shit out of me in the beginning, I thought I'd taken on way too much and I was rushing things out of stress. I remember reading Denize Fenzi's book "Train the dog in front of you" and so many things fell into place, even thou I have lengthy dog experience. Turns out I was reading my mal's hyper active bitey bitey as playful arousal rather than her freaking out when she felt under pressure. I changed from sternly setting her down to calmly protecting my face and just giving her a good stroke (which she loves) and within days her behaviour changed and she chose a far more appropriate way to "check out" from whatever engagement she felt was overwhelming. Often simply smushing her face into my thighs. Anyway, I'm wittering on, point is – good on you, glad to hear it, keep doing what you're doing.

@sodaboy Yes. Thank you for sharing. I have had different dogs in the past and boy have they been different. Working on training the dog in front of me. My boy comes running up and wants treats after loose leash time that she doesnt get yet (scaled a fence at the fosters so…) and he is all about more. She expressed discomfort at the end of the walk and during she was distracted to the point of ignoring frozen turkey bits. The dog from a month ago isn’t the dog today. But the dog today and yesterday are different too. Tomorrow may be fine. Monday may be awesome. But thats for those days and her to decide. Thank you. I’ll remember this.

@sodaboy I haven’t done DNA testing as yet but she is improving at home and has made progress in many areas. The barking is reduced and forward progress is made on trained behaviors. She has shown enough good behavior that she is staying (that wasnt a question for me at the start but moving us all would have sucked). She does “nibble” and it seems to be in response to affection. We are working on that. Otherwise its just working with good behaviors as best we can.

@sodaboy herding breeds are nippy and mouthy it is what it is. gentics will out will training every damn day. but if you give them work they will leave off herding the humans. I'm training my own 9 month GSD right now and this is week two so now I'm seeing the really HIm and the real him is Mouthy AF,and doesn't like being told what to it takes time. time is something far to many getting dogs these days do not have

@caelesto Keep in mind you are new to her, she might act differently as she's not comfortable with you yet. Once she gets more comfortable you may see these unwanted behaviors come out. She's young and sounds like she has family bounced A LOT in her short life. There's no doubt with patience love and training she can and will be a good pet.

@lidzia Someone else commented and explained the 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months thing. Had heard of it some time ago but didn’t think of it. Will be keeping in mind that her behaviors may change with me over time.

@caelesto I'm going to assume she does have behavioral issues..hence so many rehomes. It sounds like you have great knowledge and a plan for what's ahead. Good luck to you and your new pup.
Also read up on the 333 theory, try to SLOWLY introduce new situations for her.

@lidzia I’m suspecting a major age issue. Adolescence isn’t fun for anyone. As we have worked through these past weeks she has gotten better with many things. We aren’t out of the woods yet but know there is something else if we can get past the worst of things. We are working slowly. And we are moving forward.

@caelesto Have you heard of the 3 day 3 week 3 month rule for dogs coming into a new house? Its very easy to google. Basically the first 3 days the dog isn’t themselves due the stress and anxiety of a new house/surroundings. 3 weeks in the dog starts to feel some what comfortable and some behaviour issues start to appear. 3 months in and the dog is very comfortable and realizes this home is the new home, has an established routine, building trust and a bond with the family.

@divine_light777 I had heard mention of it but didn’t think of it. I will keep in mind that the behavior may change again as she settles. She has just about hit 3 months at the fosters so maybe she regresses again with me some. Maybe she converts well.

@caelesto My first dog was an emergency foster and he was a super sweet little guy with psychotic separation anxiety. Made sense since he was clearly dumped. I’m talkin this 15lb chiweenie put holes in my drywall in minutes when temporarily contained in the bathroom with me 10 feet away. Beyond my pay grade!!

Luckily he was so adorable, one of the vets adopted him. They had a doggy door and other dogs and no problems at all.

Back