S/O to ASPCA poison control. If you don’t have hydrogen peroxide in your cabinet go buy it now

headbanger

My husband and I had puppy blues BADLY. We have had our chaos fur ball for 2 months, and things have slowly started getting better. Biting is almost non-existent at 5 months and she is starting to play with us rather than treat us like a pin cushion.

Last night she was playing with her toys when she sawed off 7inches of plush tail off a toy. When my husband went to ask for a “drop it” she swallowed it instead. Queue us crying, and acting like general crazy people trying to figure out how to help her.

We called the ASPCA poison control line (even though it wasn’t poison) and they were amazing. They asked a bunch of questions and then walked us through how to help her vomit the toy back up (including dosage for her size and weight). We had to run to CVS to get hydrogen peroxide but the ASPCA may have saved us a few thousand dollars in emergency surgery as well as a ton of anxiety for our girl. (We know because previous dog ate a sock and had to do the surgery)

One weird side effect - I think the puppy blues are gone. My husband and I went full mama/papa bear and I can feel the difference in the way I look at her. Feeling like she was in danger cemented us as a family. puppy tax

TL;DR- ASPCA poison control number is 888.426.4435. Buy hydrogen peroxide before you need it.

Edit for spelling and context (on mobile)

@headbanger I had to give my pup hydrogen peroxide once. I felt so bad because she just trusted me and drank it up and then started throwing up. I know it was for her own good, but I just felt awful, like I'd betrayed her trust.

@jeannetteh I know! I felt the same. Thankfully she didn’t seem to connect the fizzy water with the vomiting so I think she’s ok ... can’t say the same for myself and my husband lol.

@headbanger I was told explicitly by the emergency vet to not give hydrogen peroxide as it can burn their esophagus. It was literally $43 for the medication at the vet for them to induce vomiting under their supervision with an IV medication.

@roberto96 I think the best advice is to talk to a vet (either yours or an emergency vet) and follow their instructions. Can’t speak for your pup but my girl is doing great this morning!

@roberto96 On the other hand though, a friend of ours called their vet who directed them over the phone how much peroxide to give their dog to induce vomiting after he swallowed a pack of wrapped mini chocolate bars.

@headbanger As a head's up, do not use hydrogen peroxide without the guidance of a veterinary professional. There are many situations that doing so can cause more problems than help.

@eront Totally agree - That’s why I didn’t include any dosage information and linked to the ASPCA - they have a veterinary toxicologist standing by as well as veterinary nurses to give advice and dosage (I was so impressed with their operation!) But having it handy could save a life if she had ingested poison rather than a toy. I’m just glad our not being prepared didn’t cause any issues for her.

@headbanger Another good reason to have it in the cabinet: In case of a skunking incident! When BOTH of our dogs got skunked at the same time, we were able to remove probably 98% of the stench from their fur very quickly because of this. There was still some lingering odour from where we couldn't wash their muzzles and where they made contact with our carpet, but I was so happy we had 2 big bottles in our medicine cabinet. Made sure to replace them as soon as we could!

Link if anyone wants it: https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/de-skunking-your-dog

Back