Rescued a king shepherd need advice

slocklr73

So I just adopted a king German shepherd from the humane society, he’s an insanely well behaved dog, not much information was given except he has serious anxiety and chewed off his own tail and currently has a Doberman stub. So as I said he’s very well behaved, 0 aggression, literally have yet to hear him bark or growl once within a month of having him. He’s such a good boy but clearly struggles with something, he’s very food and toy motivated but listens half ass regardless. He doesn’t appear to like being pet too much he seems to freak out when I show affection. They claim he’s 4 but I struggle believing that due to his energy level matches that of a 2 year old, I give him jobs all the time, a lot of searching and exercise of course, I could give him more but he gets enough. I want him to be comfortable here and just be himself I know it will take time but if it helps he takes 400 mg of trazodone a day. Any advice?

@slocklr73 I am a Foster for a German Shepherd Rescue and anxiety issues come in all the time. Most just need consistency and to build trust. It takes at least 2-3 months but he needs the same day over and over for awhile.

Physical affection also comes with time and trust. I had one that he came to my wife and I completely feral. He would lunge at you if you got close to him. After a few months, he would come up and beg you for love. Not every dog enjoys lots of physical affection but it often just comes with time.

The breed is often high energy so do what you can to tire him out daily. Go until he stops and he will have less anxiety since he just doesn't have the energy to focus on it.

I highly recommend CBD Treats to help calm him if he is really anxious. Give a few with every meal and see what happens.

@slocklr73 Every dog is different, but I found one of three toys are usually a winner.

Get a soft plastic ball that can squish down some but they can't fully get in their mouth. Try playing fetch with it. You're done when they are done.

Get a plush dog toy they can shake and toss around. This will often lead them to play on their own but tossing it around them will get them started.

A long/thick rope they can hold onto and you hold the other end for tug of war. It will give you both a workout.

Some dogs just like long walks. Especially if you change up the location on them.

@llerrad11 I have a xl jumbler ball that I whip around an empty field for about 20-30 minutes twice a day but the thing he’s limitless. I could whip that thing down for 3 hours and he’ll just walk after it. We come back home and all he wants to do is play tug like come on dude I whipped that thing for 30 minutes.

I do have plenty of tug toys however he doesn’t seem too good at it, he wants to play tug with everything but tug toys