Raptor got into TomCat forbidden green blocks…

sharon12

My advice after this whole event: ask vet extra questions and have plan of action.

Before you read: My boy will survive. He’s okay. 90% the same as always just tired from ordeal and annoyed.

24hr update: still bit achy from vomit ordeal but same ol cuddle ball.
—————————————————————————
When I began writing I was at vet already.

Dog is being checked over inside while I’m in waiting room.

What happened:

Woke up to sister arguing with dog. Turns out she left door open to shed. Inside shed are three blocks of TomCat (bromethalin) to kill rats/mice. Dog ate 1.5 squares.

My actions:
I calmly and as collectively as I could walked him into bathtub, gave him some H2O2 (per vet directions from past YSK questioning). Upon swallowing the hydrogen peroxide, he looked at me like I just sentenced him to death. The eyes of betrayal shone in his eyes. Then within a minute he gagged a few times and vomited. 1/3 square approximately came out in blob like mess.

He was tail wagging the whole time. A bit of excitement in his facial expressions. Suddenly, he started again with gagging sounds and vomited into his mouth just so that he swallowed it back up. I had to then intervene with more actions and partake in other suggestions vet had walked me through if this precise scenario ever did occurred. Prior to this, I firmly believed this scenario would never occur to us.

I suddenly realised that I was glad to have asked so many “stupid and what if questions” many years ago. Within 5 minutes he then vomited a huge blob of green (queue Flubber, the movie with Mr. Robin Williams) and I scooped it up bare hand and moved it away from him. That was about another 2/3 of a square of TomCat. Queue another 8min ish and he vomited the rest. Again I scooped it up and tossed. About 10 minutes later he vomited the final vomit. It was just full of stomach acid. Clear (normal white/brown stomach fluids).

To the vet we go:
We sat in bathtub for about 15min more while family helped me find a vet still open. I had called two within 15miles and they are, most unfortunately, shutdown now. Luckily, family has connections with friend whose daughter works for vet. They said to just show up and to get an assessment on situation in order to see what could be done.

Still remaining as calm and collective as I could, I asked family member to drive us. No way in hell do I think I could have driven in a safe manner.

My boy didn’t seem to give a f! about the incident even as we headed to the vet. During the car ride he complained that it was taking too long of a drive (40min drive to local vet). He complained in the same exact way he always complains on any car ride that takes longer than 10minutes. Trips to park take 5-8min during traffic XD

At the vet:
I walked him in, he was excited to visit a new place. A CNA vet equivalent individual met me in front and took him from my hand on leash. He happily pranced in. Didn’t seem to notice I wasn’t with him anymore. We sat down. Less than 10min later, Vet came and shared that he was going to receive some vomit inducing stuff and to share that “he’s not being nice.” Typical behaviour of these raptors.

Medical stuff done by vet:
1) induced vomiting
2) triage check (weight check, visual/emergency check assessing of situation)
3) received some type of shot.

I should keep an eye on him for next few days per vet.

Total bill no insurance: $324.48

Detailed visit info from receipt:

Exam/consultation medical condition - $102.20
Fluids subcutaneous - $89.20
Maropitant - $81.78
Activated Charcol - $0
Toxiban No Sorb - $51.30

We’re now on our way home. He’s grumpy because we stopped to get some food for ourselves but he’ll have to hold on for another few hours for his. Then I’ll give him half his dog food for today and tomorrow until I’m sure he’s ok to fully resume normal feeding after all the vomitting. Poor tummy.

So yeah. Thought I’d share in case anyone finds themselves in my situation or is curious on what they can do/etc…

My advice: during vet visits, ask questions about “what if…” (hypothetical situations) and be prepared. These little guys are so adventurous so with that comes the unexpected.

Things happen, but being prepared and having some awareness is key. Stay calm. Breath. Prevention. You’ll be ok.

P.s spend an extra few minutes with your pets today.

@sharon12 That's scary, I don't think I could have stayed calm, I thought my dogs eating a rope toy and a stick of butter (different dogs, different times) was bad.

@unsu Only time I’ve freaked is when he ate long strip of plastic from hotdog bag. He couldn’t poop it so i had to slowly pull as he pushed. I thought he was going to be stuck with plastic out his butt forever.

@sharon12 Had to do that with cats and Christmas tinsel/icicles before. Very festive way to spend the holidays.

Hydrogen peroxide works AMAZINGLY well, I have to say - I’ve used it at least twice on my half ACD/half corgi, and she’s not even a year and a half old yet. Once she got one of my husband’s dropped cholesterol pills, which probably wouldn’t have hurt her, but we did it anyway. I used too much, and she barfed up SO MUCH FOAM. Next time it was for a wire bread tie. When she swallowed the sewing needle, the vet said not to make her throw up, and it passed after three days and three xrays.

I might’ve had to make her throw up a third time, but I can’t remember anymore.

@sharon12 Oh, we did! Went to the vet immediately, and the next day, and the next for x-rays, and collected alllll her poops. The third x-ray showed it cleared, and I re-checked all her poops with an old super-powered magnet out of a computer and finally found it. That was quite the ordeal.

@sharon12 I'm so glad you knew and remembered the hydrogen peroxide. So many people are unaware of that simple emetic.

I had a previous ACD eat a TomCat block for some reason after leaving them alone for the whole time I worked there. I worked at a stable and the birds knocked them down off the rafters so occasionally some were in the corners. All of sudden one day I turn around and "boom" there the dork was eating a block! I not so calmly hauled ass to the vet supply area, grabbed a bottle, turned back and poured it down his throat. Luckily he vomited it back up and all I had to do was rinse out his mouth well. My vet said due to my quick actions, he was probably fine and to just monitor him.

He ended up being fine and Ranger never went after a block again!

@mcldc Great question!

So years ago when my boy was a pup, he developed kennel cough and had injury in paw. I took him to vet, but no matter how hard the vet would try, he wouldn’t allow her to touch his paws and nip nonstop. I asked the vet if this could develop into a greater problem if it wasn’t corrected and she shared that if my boy didn’t learn boundaries and learn to allow anyone to touch his paws, face, belly and area between legs and crotch, he’d one day bite someone. Even worse, he could bite someone and I could end up in trouble in courts and related.

So anyway, all of this got me thinking… ever since then I’d purposely touch all of said areas through belly rubs, pats, and pretending to wipe face to desensitize him especially during feeding time.

So, to answer your initial question, he trusts me. I can just prop anything in his mouth or stick my hands in his mouth during feeding time and all he’ll do is just look at me right square in the eye and sigh in patience.

Today, I lightly lifted his head up, gave him a kiss on his forehead, wished him good luck and dumped 5 H202 spoonfuls into his mouth. I probably dropped half of the spoonfuls hahaha I know that a dropper or even squirting it in woulda worked. I would suggest even add some into your dogs small plate of food if found in my scenario.

@sharon12 So glad he's OK! Terrifying. Great advice on the H2O2.

Also good advice on conditioning pup to be touched!

Only took 12 of 14 years for me to desensitize my rescue from her back down to her feet and nails, but apparently ham is a great negotiation tool? 😆 Even more, dispensing with my own anxiety (clip nails vertically, use Miller's Forge good nippers, go slow) and just putting on my "No big deal, we're just gonna do this now" attitude was worth a lot. Their radar for your own "Oh lordy, here we go again!" anxiety is spectacularly astute!