R+ Vs. Balanced training

@sarahtoo
You ask how to commuicate to a dog something is not acceptable without using any form of punishments and no one can answer of course.

Most dogs will, at some point in their lives, need to be reminded that the one with thumbs runs the show, not them.

And someone does really need to be calling the shots. Dogs aren't good at democracy. Most dogs will at some point, need to be reminded to not pull the owner down the street, lunge at things, etc. And I say that as someone who's go-to is R+ methods.

I am very much not a PP trainer however.

Feeling bad for dogs that are never given the chance to try rehabilitation by anything other than positive reinforcment only.

A trainer who works with pet dogs, especially ones who as adults joined a new home, coming from a shelter or rescue group, and who does not use anything other than R+ methods is puzzling to me. Many dogs have to learn to behave asap, or their future is at risk. To me that overrides anything else.

@davecb In my experience it is almost exclusively dog owners who espouse R+ ideology, people who work with dogs for a living generally learn that some degree of aversive is often necessary.

@daniom
In my experience it is almost exclusively dog owners who espouse R+ ideology, people who work with dogs for a living generally learn that some degree of aversive is often necessary.

The thing is, if you work with dogs for any length of time, it's really obvious that some dogs are going to give you a choice. You can spend years, literally, on trying to get a dog to walk down a street, without having him lunging and reacting to everything or, you can teach him that that isn't what you're looking for and go on with things.

I used to live down the street from a family that had gotten a Lab puppy. By the time the dog was a year old, the only person who had any hope of walking the dog, was the husband. The kids and wife couldn't hold onto this dog.

The guy used a big heavy choke chain. He also wore ski gloves, to keep his hands from being destroyed while the dog pulled. I have no idea why they used a choke chain other than it was about 1988 and that's what everyone used but the dog was so used to it, that he just dragged the guy anyway. There were no handy videos or anything like that, to help the family with the dog, and that's how they lived with that dog, till the day he died.

I start all my puppies with R+ methods. I want them, for dog sports, to understand offering behaviors, what a click signifies, how to play with toys with me, how to take treats and not my fingers, etc.

But I have puppies, well bred ones, who come from pedigrees of wanting to work with, and being interested in working with humans. I'm also good at environmental control. My puppies are dragging a short leash around on a buckle collar, so if they do something I don't want them to do, I can grab the leash and redirect them and have a party.

Someone who, as I said before, takes home a big, adult dog from a shelter, a dog who has never been taught any rules or commands, let alone behavior chains, doesn't have that luxury. The dog has to learn things fast or in most homes, he'll be returned. And that process will happen again.

My young dog had pretty bad leash reactivity starting at about 6 months, when our state pretty much shut down because of COVID. And I do dog sports. Once that resumed, it was serious work to get her into a training building, let alone a dog event, without her being an ass. I did a great deal of LAT with her, and taught her that, and taught her that staring at some random dog, meant we went nowhere.

So now? We can be ringside at a crowded, crazy agility trial, and she can lie on top of my feet and not react. She can ignore it all and go into the ring and be a good working dog.

But the entire process was not PP. At some point, when I was sure she knew what my criteria was, I corrected her for carrying on. It wasn't major, but it was a correction, and she understood it.

I thought this was a good summary of working with a dog who needs to learn what the deal with working with a human is all about. He's very fair to the dog, and clear with the dog.

@davecb Lol. The video you linked too happens to be the guy that was being asked about in the other sub. I wasnt going to mention names but that was too much of a coincidence not to.

@daniom Not in my area. A good percentage of the advertising trainers here espouse PP. They are also the same ones who have recommended euthanasia for a friend's aggressive Jack Russel. I called about 30 trainers within 150 miles or so for her and interviewed them over the phone. There were only 3 with experience and success with aggression that I recommended to her.

We also have a lot of people working at shelters or rescues in my area who both espouse PP AND adopt out aggressive dogs with no warnings to the adopters. The dog might be fine for a few weeks or months and then try to kill their other dog.

These also retain ownership rights in the fine print of their adoption contracts stating they can reclaim the dog for any reason at their discretion. I won't even consider a dog from those rescues. So bad.

We are having more and more dog attacks in the past 5 or 7 years or so. Some really horrific cases with people flown out on on med-evac.

@sarahtoo
How do you reason with people who thinks its better to end a dogs life than subject them to some discomfort to teach them not to act that way?

You can’t. At least not on reddit. Every sub has its rules and they are being enforced. There is just nothing you can do about it. The sooner that realisation comes, the better.

To a certain point I can understand the moderators of those subs. They want to have their own place and that’s fine. It’s unfortunate that a lot of people with problematic dogs get attracted to those forums because they are just the first thing you find when you google for advice.

But is just is what it is. I got over it and you can too.

@graciousx It's not like I was hanging around looking to force my advice on anyone. The OP was actually asking is it worth trying a trainer who they heard sometimes uses prongs and e collars. I've seen a few of the guys videos on youtube and said yeah its worth a try. Things just escalated from there.

@sarahtoo My swan song was similar. Person with dog trouble goes to yet another trainer, sees prong collar work miracles and asks if he/she should continue using it. It's obvious he/she's delighted and wants to, so I presume the dog is fine after this ordeal. Anyway my comment said if you are happy and the dog is happy, do what you think is best for yourself.

This was deleted, but not as quickly as usual LOL I thought it was going to get through, but no. I left the sub then but I know what advice would be given, I hope he/she didn't take it.

@sarahtoo If it’s the sub I’m thinking it is, I’ve had comments deleted for similar sentiments. Even for suggesting a prong collar was a safer option than the harnesses someone was getting dragged into busy streets using.

I’ve stopped trying to argue. I’m sad for the dogs that are given up on, or get hurt or get bite histories/become un-rehomeable because people are so inflexibly bought-in to one extreme side of the training world. But arguing is never going to help, and those posts are usually too emotionally-driven for even reasonable discussion.

I focus on real life advocacy/proof. I’m doing what’s right for my reactive dog, and that’s what matters. One time a woman came up and started petting him and got kisses from him. She noticed his e-collar and was taken aback, politely suggesting they weren’t humane. I pointed to the other dog like 20 feet away and said “Before balanced training, we wouldn’t have been able to get 100 feet from that dog there.” So she asked a few more questions and we had a nice conversation. That’s not the only example, but my favorite.

@coltproulx People see my pet off-lead and under my complete control
(w/ecollar) and only compliments follow :)

Side note: i do not encourage letting people approach w/out
a protocol in place; and I don't let strangers touch/pet head or
give hugs .....

I hand them a treat, tell them to call dog, have sit, shake hand,
give treat; say "wow, what a soft mouth!" and leave happy.

@sarahtoo Honestly I think you can't win unfortunately. I recently got banned from a local ff Facebook group for liking a comment that said some dogs do benefit from ecollar use (I'm guessing cos they didn't talk to me) I know they aren't all like this but it is just a circular argument. It's a shame because I believe both sides can learn from each other.

@shrie
that said some dogs do benefit from ecollar use

all dogs can benefit from an ecollar, if introduced and used
right. Basic training (CD): sit, stay, come, heel, .... is
comes first. Maybe coms with whistle, hands, whisper, too.

On-lead works best on close heel, in tight or obstacled quarters.
Flexi is pretty ok on walks if a leash is needed; like approaching
people/pets/bikes. But I skirt that by just heeling and letting
people pass while he sit/stays.

My ecollar offers upwards of 6 different 'messages' via beeps, vibes, nicks,
whereas the leash (tension) only has 2; and jerking/tugging
feels so primitive in comparison.

Back