Puppy won't pee outside

asphaltpotato

I have a 5 month old border collie / corgi mix who won't go potty outside. We had him inside as he got through his vaccinations and bad weather and became trained at going potty inside on his mats, but he won't go outside under 99.9% of conditions. He will hold his pee for many hours outside (e.g. a trip to a park) and when he gets home, pee like crazy. He's peed once or twice outside by 'accident' it seems. I've read a lot of stuff about dogs being scared of outside, but our dog seems to love being outside and gets along with humans/dogs that he encounters...just doesn't want to potty outside. Any tips or success stories to fix?

@asphaltpotato My husky did this...the trick was to take him outside on a leash. My doggo would get distracted with everything outside....then go inside on the puppy pads...where we had initially trained him...due to vaccinations. Eventually he learned to go outside. Just be patient.

@asphaltpotato Maybe try taking a pee pad outside when you’re walking him reward him with high value treats whenever he does pee outside. He might just be associating the pee pad with the proper place and taking that outside/slowly taking them away inside might help?

Back