My puppy won't stop eating poop, it's ruining my relationship with my fiancé

@givemeareason I mean training your dog could be a good start. I work at a daycare and I’m a manager/trainer guess what I do, I separate the dogs known to eat poop and we contact their parents and have them work on leave it. Leave it is the thing you need to teach, any dog I’ve gotten under 6 months of age knew that by 6 months of age. This is a valid argument to have, they eat poop and kiss you now you have a zoonotic disease. There’s supplements you can give to help curb it, I dealt with this in my 4 year old, training, the supplements and going to my vet to make sure she was okay were my solutions. Your fiancée being annoyed is valid, yanking on the leash is not going to help long run, it’s going to cause fear that the puppy doesn’t deserve.

@givemeareason Yeah yanking is not the answer. Puppies aren’t made out of rubber and yanking could seriously damage their neck.

Your puppy needs a strong “drop it” “leave it”, probably a muzzle.

My puppy is relentless as well so I don’t let her sniff around too much in poopy areas. I walk her around the border of a golf course in my neighborhood. And keep my yard super clean of my other dogs poop.

I feel for you, it’s a disgusting habit. I’ve tried anti coprophagia tablets, spraying gross stuff on poop, probiotics, high quality kibble, switching her to raw. Nothing works I just have to watch her like a hawk. She will need a custom muzzle because of her weird face shape so I’m not ordering one until she is grown.

@givemeareason Your husband is right but going about training her to stop totally wrong.

First of all you both need to have super good high quality (soft) treats with you every time you go out with the pup.

Tell pup to “leave it” when pup goes to a poop. And reward with a small treat (break the treats to small pieces before hand).

Also work on training “drop it” and “leave it” while inside but remember pup is young.

@givemeareason If you want you can buy a cage muzzle, with good muzzle training, so that she can still smell things but don’t have easy access to eating anything on the ground. Also if he’s tugging on her, and she’s wearing a collar maybe explain how damaging it could be to their throat but also maybe switch to a harness :)

@givemeareason Dogs don't grow out of eating poop. It is not a natural behaviour phase and is one that needs work to stop it. It is a behaviour that is very self rewarding just like barking or scavenging food. It is also a very easy way for dogs to contract disease, illness, and parasites from eating poop. You really need to train them out of this as it can cause health problems and transmit disease. Parvo for instance is one disease that is transmitted by infected feces and urine.

@givemeareason It is not harmless behavior. There are so many diseases and parasites your puppy could pick up from eating poop. You need to pay better attention and keep her from getting at the poop, it sounds like your fiancée is the only one attempting to keep this from happening.

@givemeareason I have a small dog that has always been a poo eater if unwatched, the key is teaching them a command (I use leave it) when off leash when they show to much attention to something gross or potentionally harmful that you want them to leave alone. It can also be used when you drop something that you want them to ignore. She is young and needs guidance. It is a very common dog behavior so don't beat yourself up, doggos will be doggos.

@givemeareason Your dog can sniff. Sniffing is fine , it’s great. But the minute poop enters the mouth: act as if it’s an atomic bomb (that only you can stop) that your pupper is swallowing.

You don’t want to hurt your dog. But not training the dog is hurting the dog. It may make you feel better, but is it best for the dog?

Being a dog parent is a great responsibility. You might have to get out of your comfort zone to meet your corgi where the pup needs to be met, metaphorically speaking. You have chosen to be with this animal through the good times and the bad times. How you approach treating the animal says a lot about you.

With that being said, know that the aggression you see your partner take out on the dog will translate into aggression when you have children. If your partner doesn’t get some therapy or you both could go to therapy together.

If you two cannot collaborate on what to do with the dog, it will always and forever be a contentious issue.

@givemeareason don't let her near the poop. take her on a walk and have her poop on the road. not shared green areas. and teach her the leave it command. bring treats with you or fav squeaky toy to distract her and reward her. walk at a quick pace until you're away from the shared green spaces before letting her sniff and do her business.

Back