Puppy weight calculators - how accurate are they?

leona08

My S/O and I have a (~4 years old) Cane Corso / Newfie mix, and she just gave birth to two adorable little pups.

The father is a border collie / Aussie Shepard (~5 years old) that is owned by my S/O’s daughter, who is currently renting from us.

This happened completely by accident, when we went away for a week and my S/O’s daughter cared for them while we were gone. The father was supposed to be fixed, and she swore up and down he was. Our pupper is also not receptive to his advances at ALL. However, life finds a way, right?

Nevertheless, a month or so later we see she’s pregnant. Vet said she’s only having 2, which was fantastic news because that means we should be able to keep them both! This is the first (and last) litter her mom will have. The father was fixed right after we found out she was pregnant, and she will be when she no longer is nursing them (vet said 6 weeks after birth, IIRC).

The two puppers come out, and are happy, healthy and nursing like kings due to the lack of a large litter. They’re both boys. We’ve been weighing them daily, and they hit 1 week old today.

Boy1: 2.7lbs
Boy2: 2.8lbs.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how large they’d get so I did some of the online calculators. They are all saying these little pups will be a whopping 140lbs fully grown.

I am shocked. Their momma is 95lbs. Their dad is maybe, 35 soaking wet. They look JUST like their mom - except for a very tiny patch of white fur on their chests (the mom is 100% fully jet-black).

How accurate are these? Could they just be eating too much? I can feel their ribs without pressing hard, which I read about online. I don’t want them to have health issues from being overweight so early in life.

As long as they’re gentle giants like their mom, all should be good (S/O’s daughter has a 2 year old). I’m just trying to figure out if they’re really going to be the giants that the calculators claim.

*** we have an 8’ fully fenced in backyard, there is absolutely zero chance she got loose and mated with a different dog.

@leona08 I will also add that since you plan on keeping both that I suggest you research littermate syndrome. It is not guaranteed to develop, but can. You will want to make sure to train separately and have them spend lots of time bonding with family members separately to help minimize the risk of it developing. Having them sleep in separate rooms can also help.

@leona08 Hi! Our community is best suited for puppies 8 weeks and older. I would consult your vet for any health concerns and possibly check out content from @oldwoodsman who is a fantastic user who specializes in fostering litters.

@leona08 Thanks for the tag @sallama.

In my experience, not very. My puppy Mochi was predicted by several websites to be 18 - 20 lbs fully grown. He is 36.

With a recent litter in which we knew the exact birthday, we typed in the weight at a known date on 7 different weight chart estimators and got a 25 lb spread between them (20 to 45 lbs).

I have not done correlations between puppy weight chart estimators and the adult weights.

@leona08 Not very accurate. Every calculator said my pit mix would be at least 85 pounds with some saying closer to 95. Haven’t weighed her recently but she’s right around 57 pounds. In my case I was happy that they were inaccurate because it made for a pleasant surprise when she was much smaller!

@dartmanii Our pup (cockapoo mam, cocker spaniel dad) was estimated at 16-20kg. He’s been - 11.5 kg for the last 3 months at 9 months now. I’m guessing he’s not going to make the lower estimate (which is fine by us).

@leona08 Highly inaccurate. I had a small runt mastiff puppy who was only around 10 pounds at 8 weeks old. The calculators I used estimated his adult weight to be from 50 pounds to 65 pounds. He actually reached 120 pounds in the end.