Prospective dog parent essential considerations?

bababenny

Hi dog parents! I 25(F) have wanted to get a dog for a very long time. I grew up with them and after graduating from grad school and securing my current job which I’ve been in for over 6
Months now I want to start seriously considering adopting a dog relatively soon (probably in about a year). I understand it takes a lot of responsibility, energy and finances and I want to be prepared. I plan to start saving for initial and first year expenses starting this month.

For context I live in a major city in an apartment (which means pet rent) and no private outdoor space. I work hybrid and usually spend 2 days in the office (occasionally more). I would be looking to adopt a small young dog from a shelter/rescue. I really like dachshunds and grew up with chihuahua mixes so I gravitate towards breeds like that (under 30 lbs). I travel (very occasionally for work-like twice or three times a year probably for a total of 2-3 weeks overall) which I would probably leave my dog w a friend during or house in a pet hotel. I also visit my family every few months (4hr plane ride away) which I would want to bring my pet along for.

I think I have a general idea of cost considerations but limited idea of how much it would add up to.… Initial expenses like collars, training supplies, crate etc. recurring expenses like pet rent, vet, grooming and food and emergency expenses maybe pet insurance? I am also trying to figure out how much it would cost for a dog walker for the days I am in office or traveling for work. With these considerations how much should I set aside before seriously looking? Am I forgetting anything? Any advice welcome. Thanks!

@bababenny If your dog barks when you are not at home, your neighbors will complain to the landlord.

You need to be at home for a new dog as much as possible, not at work during the day, etc.

If you use a dog walking service, set up hidden cams so you can see how they treat your dog in your apartment. 99% of dog walkers are great but you still have to watch out for the 1% who are not.

If your dog is too large to fit in a carrier under the seat in a plane, it will have to fly in cargo which is scary and perilous. Some airlines don't allow pets in the cabin at all. Cost for flying in the cabin is generally $100-$125 each way. This article is a year old but you can get an idea of the policies and then check with the airline before booking tickets: https://www.cntraveler.com/story/most-pet-friendly-airlines

Definitely talk to your friends first to see which ones might be willing to let your dog stay with them sometimes.

There are usually a few people in a large apartment building who will take care of your pet (for a fee) while it stays in your apartment. Relying on neighbors might be more better than using a random person from an app.

@almagor If OP lives in a pet friendly apartment then neighbors may have recommendations for sitters to refer you to too—that extra layer of scrutiny would weed out the more awful sitters

@bababenny you always have to think about what happens if my rescue isn't good with other people? especially a chihuahua. I have a 14 yr old rescue. I've had him since he was 3. I can't leave him anywhere but home and he won't allow anyone else to care for him except my mom and husband. he's had extensive obedience training and is on Prozac but he still doesn't do well with strangers. I'd have to find someone and have them spend an enormous amount of time with him before he might allow them to take him out. you never know the temperament of the dog you're getting until after you've had them for a while which means you'll be 100% responsible for them until/if you can find someone they respond to. and little dogs need a lot of walking just like big dogs. your dog might not do well traveling or being boarded. so, how would that affect your life? sounds like now might not be the time. if you decide to do it anyway, I'd set aside 5k+ a yr for what you're talking about. vet, walker, boarding, flights, food, etc.. and also get pet insurance. research breeds and take your time picking out a dog you and the shelter think would do well with you. and make sure they are/become crate trained. spend a significant amount of time on good quality obedience training. being a great dog owner and having a good canine citizen is a huge commitment. and both are your responsibility. but the work you put in will most definitely pay off in having a good experience.

Back