Projected to be 94lbs

tifani

How much stock should one put in the whole estimated growth formula [weight ÷ age in wks = X then X × 52 = estimated weight] cause my 11wk lab puppy (f) is currently 20lbs and according to the formula she will be somewhere around 94-95 lbs when done growing which is like 25lbs heavier than the projected weight for adult males of the breed. I know it's supposed to be an edtimate, but that seems like a pretty high estimate.

@michelle1 yes, totally inaccurate! it's best to look at the weight of parents and guess from there. my mas pup was 10lbs at 8wks too but she's only projected to be around 35-40lbs since that's mom & dad's weight range.

@tifani Look at the parents and their weight, that's where you will get an idea. Those formulas never figure out correctly. Just keep feeding it and when it's done growing you will know lol, sorry but size can be environmental too.

@tifani Breed matters a bit more than the formula. If you know the lineage of your labrador that's even better.

It's why in mixed dogs (doodles, maltipoo, pitsky, insert whatever mix name there is out there) a litter can have tiny dogs and HUGE dogs. Genetics can be a real wild card.

@tifani Did your breeder give you an expected weight? My first two labs both ended up as 55 lbs, as was their expected weights. The newest one is predicted (by the breeder) to be 70 lb. By your formula she'll be close to 90 lb.

I went and checked the 8 week weight of #2 with your formula and it gave 70 lb instead of her current 55 lb. So don't fret, I don't think it is accurate.

@tifani I was tracking this agains breed specific charts, I met the parents and the breeder told me he shouldn’t be above X.

His weight is 20% higher than projected at 1.5 years and my boy is on the skinny/lean side.

So I don’t think these are accurate at all.

If anything the paw size seems accurate - we met many puppies with a similar age and he is smaller than the big paw ones and bigger than the tiny paw ones. 😅

Back