Poodle show grooming

1godpreacher

Hi!
I have a mini poodle puppy (4.5 months old atm) and am looking to show her in future. I am looking for some advice on where to learn how to groom her to show standards (UK based or online) as I’d like to be more prepared and informed of caring for her curls. Also, any recommendations for what clippers to purchase or where to go for grooming supplies are welcome. TIA x

@1godpreacher If you planning on showing, but you are not experienced in grooming poodles consider joining the Facebook group '' poodle grooming assistant '' there is also the group '' New to Showing Poodles (AKC / UKC / CKC / KC / FCI ) '' lots of great advice on supplies, and inforamation and advice for leaning how to groom.
if you dont have supplies yet you will need a good slicker brush, metal greyhound comb, a clipper the 5 in 1 bravura or arco 5 in 1 are both good choices, and a hv dryer.
I would consider finding a good groomer to set your puppy clip, and get on monthly schedule with them, and you can work on doing things like bath/blowout at home, and maintaining shaving feet/face.sani nails ect between grooming which will help you work on building grooming skills, and have the pattern they already shaved to work with.
Also in the future if you decide you want to do a continental with adult coat you could consider doing an HCC which would be easier for you to maintain the clip yourself compared to a full conti

@1godpreacher Search for a local kennel club. Most are hard to find due to they don’t use social media often. Find a confirmation class or if your breeder isn’t local find one that might be willing to mentor you.

I have a Lakeland and my breeder is 9 hours away. I found a local kennel club who is helping me with confirmation and going to local shows to find others near by. I found more breeders and owners of lakies than ever before.

@lilpeoplez Did you find yours on Google then? That’s great advice though, thank you so much. I’d love to join a local kennel club if I can, we’re starting ringcraft in a couple of weeks but definitely need some breed specific help

@mccra76 Thanks, I’ve had some advice but I was hoping for some information on classes or YouTube channels to follow. I’ve been directed to Christie’s direct for clippers but wasn’t specified which type to get so more help from professionals would be useful.

@1godpreacher It is going to be best to learn in person from someone who is experienced in showing the breed. Even those of us who are pet groomers by day but do occasional showing have had to learn from mentors. You will probably need somebody to set your initial clip, as well, and provide active feedback on your work.

@1godpreacher Definitely reach out to the breed club, theres a Miniature Poodle breed club who are super friendly. There should be some local ones too. I have a 3mth Standard who I'm looking at showing and his breeder has already offered me soooo much valuable information & started him on the everyday things for me too. Definitely join the New to Showing Poodles group,but we also have one in the UK! It's Poodle beginners - Grooming and Showing. They're a friendly bunch and will point you in the right direction!

Get her to ring craft as soon as possible. They'll teach you everything you need to know for show too. My boy is hopefully attending his first in the next 2-3 weeks :) We also have a group on FB where you can find ringcraft closest to you, it's called: Ring Craft Clubs UK (KC Only)

As far for grooming supplies, (and as a groomer) I always buy mine from Christies or Groomers Online. Can highly recommend the Arcos, I use the minis and I am saving for the larger arcos now. You'll need a nice pin brush, slicker and comb for maintenance at home (for now). Dryers, mine is just a cheapie from amazon and it does the job well enough. If you don't want a 5in1 blade, I use my Andis 2spd AGC (I forget what they're called) on all the dogs I groom + my boy at home for his feet, face, tail if I don't have my trimmers. They're about £150, absolute workhorse and such a good clipper for beginners. If there's anything you need / want recs on that haven't been recommended yet I can try and advise too :)

Back