PLEASE help my family find a dog!

afyky

**Introduction**

1) Will this be your first dog? If not, what experience do you have owning/training dogs?

No, it will not be my first. I've owned 3 dogs throughout my life (38 years) but they all have passed due to health issues.

2) Do you have a preference for rescuing a dog vs. going through a [reputable breeder]( http://ownresponsibly.blogspot.com/2011/07/identifying-reputable-breeder.html)?

No. I don't want anyone on here to find me a dog though, I just want to know what breed.

3) Describe your ideal dog.

I don't have much preference about the dog's personality. I just need the dog to love us and be friendly to friends and family (10+ years old) that come over (about once a month. not often). I don't mind if they bark or not when people come to the door as it doesn't happen often. A small/medium sized dog would be preferred due to cuddling. A dog that needs 60-90 minutes or less of playtime is perfect. Additionally, the breed has to have low risk of health problems.

4) What breeds or types of dogs are you interested in and why?

Not any specifically. Just ones that fit my requirements.

5) What sorts of things would you like to train your dog to do?

Simple commands like sit, stay, etc. Maybe a few tricks like spin and what not.

6) Do you want to compete with your dog in a sport (e.g. agility, obedience, rally) or use your dog for a form of work (e.g. hunting, herding, livestock guarding)? If so, how much experience do you have with this work/sport?

No.

**Care Commitments**

7) How long do you want to devote to training, playing with, or otherwise interacting with your dog each day?

Affection would be about 2-4 hours a day. I enjoy relaxing and watching shows/movies in my free time so they can hang out with me while I do that. Training would be about 10-30 minutes a day as I'm not teaching them very extreme things.

8) How long can you exercise your dog each day, on average? What sorts of exercise are you planning to give your dog regularly and does that include using a dog park?

About a hour per day. Inside play would be preferred due to it being super cold in the winter but I'd love to go out with them when it's nice out. There aren't any dog parks around me, but I have 3 acres so they would get tons of running/walking in.

9) How much regular brushing are you willing to do? Are you open to trimming hair, cleaning ears, or doing other grooming at home? If not, would you be willing to pay a professional to do it regularly?

Grooming will be every few days or less. We will be doing all these things at home.

**Personal Preferences**

10) What size dog are you looking for?

Probably a small to medium dog. Fitting into a twin bed with a human or two is ideal.

11) How much shedding, barking, and slobber can you handle?

Shedding - little to none. Prefer none.

Barking - fine. Not constant and knows when to be quiet.

Slobber - fine as long as it's not constant.

12) How important is being able to let your dog off-leash in an unfenced area?

Not IMPORTANT, but would be pretty good as 2 acres are unfenced.

**Dog Personality and Behavior**

13) Do you want a snuggly dog or one that prefers some personal space?

Both. I won't always be home but are willing to cuddle with them half of the time I am home.

14) Would you prefer a dog that wants to do its own thing or one that’s more eager-to-please?

Doesn't matter.

15) How would you prefer your dog to respond to someone knocking on the door or entering your yard? How would you prefer your dog to greet strangers or visitors?

Don't care how they act to random people knocking outside, but friendly or stays away to people welcome into the house.

16) Are you willing to manage a dog that is aggressive to other dogs?

Doesn't matter. Probably won't be around others.

17) Are there any other behaviors you can’t deal with or want to avoid?

Don't think so.

**Lifestyle**

18) How often and how long will the dog be left alone?

My husband stays home all day, mainly in the house so the dog will never be alone but he isn't the hugest fan of dogs so they probably won't be cuddling or playing all day long.

19) What are the dog-related preferences of other people in the house and what will be their involvement in caring for the dog?

I will be the one caring for the dog the most. We have a ten year old boy and a sixteen year old girl. My daughter will help groom and chill with the dog as much, or even more than me.

20) Do you have other pets or are you planning on having other pets? What breed or type of animal are they?

We have fish that are in tall fish tanks. The dog won't be able to mess with them. We are not planning on getting more pets.

21) Will the dog be interacting with children regularly?

No. Occasionally my 10 and 16 year old's friends.

22) Do you rent or plan to rent in the future? If applicable, what breed or weight restrictions are on your current lease?

No. We own a house.

23) What city or country do you live in and are you aware of any laws banning certain breeds?

Close to Detroit, MI, U.S. and I am not.

24) What is the average temperature of a typical summer and winter day where you live?

Summer days are 70 to105 F (21 to 40 C) and winter days are -20 to 50 F (-28 to 10 C)

**Additional Information and Questions**

25) Please provide any additional information you feel may be relevant.

The dog will be a family dog that is typically inside the house. The house stays at 70 F (21 C) most of the time. The dog breed needs to have as few health problems as possible. Budget for the dog is about $200 a month.

26) Feel free to ask any questions below.

@afyky The small companion breeds such as shih Tzus, pekingese, Maltese, etc will be a good match. They're friendly, cuddly, trainable, people loving dogs. But they do need regular professional grooming.

@afyky So I saw you want a dog with little to no shedding, but dogs who don’t shed usually need professional grooming. Many dogs who don’t shed are kept on a grooming schedule of every 4-8 weeks, even with brushing at home. Before I give breed recommendations, I just wanted to clarify if you’d be open to professional grooming or if you’d rather no professional grooms but dogs with short fur instead?

@caliisawake Yeah I'd be open to grooming. I just found out it's not expensive as I thought. It's $60 to get everything done at the nearest pet groomer's. I actually might go with that option once a month. Could you recommend a list of dogs with short fur and regular/longer fur?

@afyky Sure! Here’s some breeds with pros/cons based on your wants.

Italian Greyhounds & Whippets
Pros: Small/Medium Size, Friendly, Low energy, No professional grooming required, Short Coat, Quiet & Don’t bark much
Cons: Neither breeds are good off leash, Sheds some but not a lot

Maltese & Shih-Tzus
Pros: Hypoallergenic/Non-Shedding, Small, Pretty low exercise requirements, Probably could be trained off leash
Cons: Average Barking Levels, Fragile breed so your 10yo should probably play with them under supervision, Professional grooming needed

West Highland Terrier
Pros: Hypoallergenic/Nonshedding, Small but Sturdy, Love to Play, 1 hour exercise should probably work
Cons: Professional grooming needed, High prey drive so not great off leash, May Bark

Cocker Spaniel
Pros: Loving, 1 hour exercise should be good, Can be trained off leash, Small but Sturdy
Cons: Professional Grooming needed and longer coat

Basset Hound
Pros: Medium Size but short to the ground, Great with Kids, No professional grooming needed, Lazy
Cons: Bark a lot and Not great off Leash, Can be prone to health issues

Bully Breeds at Shelters
Pros: Short Coat, Doesn’t need professional grooming, Seem to “match” owners energy, medium size and many are big cuddlers, generally healthy
Cons: Prey Drive so no off leash, Prone to Dog aggression

I recommend looking at petfinder.com! It’s a great way to look at rescue dogs in your area, and you can sort by breed, age, size, etc. Best of luck!!

@caliisawake Cairn terriers are quite similar to your description of West Highland terriers, so I'd recommend them too. They can vary quite a bit in personality and all terriers tend to be a bit independent, but our cairn was happy with a 60-90 min walk every day. He could get worked up and bark at birds through windows, though never in-person (hilariously), and his prey drive was pretty low except when we had mice under the house.

But if you do go the breeder route, make sure to ask them about the personalities of each puppy. You can get a lot of variation, so there's likely to be one that might suit your needs.

@afyky Honestly, I think most breeds would be fine with you but my recommendation to little to no shedding that's small to medium would be maybe a toy poodle? They do shed however, less than other dogs.

@afyky Best of luck in your dog search. Keep in mind how many dogs are needing homes that would love to be rescued. Yes all dogs would love a home. Who wouldn’t? I’m just saying I wouldn’t support a breeder when I didn’t have to….especially, after I’ve seen and worked in animal shelters. Your best friend could be at a shelter right now. At least keep your eyes open and please check some rescues/shelters out.

I know your preference was either. Just offering my two cents, as well.

@afyky Yes of course. 100 percent with ya and good on you filling out a form and being open to ideas.

Very strange I got downvoted for mentioning rescue benefits. Hmmm. That’s Reddit for ya. Go figure