Planning to adopt a dog and I have some questions

@kimiad I would recommend looking for a lower energy large breed that is over 3 years old. Larger bladders can hold it longer. Make sure they get at least a 30 minute walk before work, and I would recommend an hour after work; more or less depending on the dog. My dogs easily go 12+ hours without needing to go out. When I get home from work they prefer to hangout and cuddle for a while before we go out. And if it’s storming, they refuse to go out and just hold it.

I have a 6 year old, 80 pound lab/pit and a 2 year old, 100 pound pittie. My older guy has definitely slowed as he has gotten older, but is 100% down to do a 10 mile hike without a fuss. My pittie is more of a couch potato that’s just as happy laying around chewing on something as he is hiking or just hanging out outside. A 10 mile hike is not happening with him though. He will flat out refuse to move and lay down when he gets overture.

I have a small apartment. But because of our lifestyle it is just fine for my dogs. Home time is basically relax time. Heck; I’m writing this from a field where my boys are taking a break on a hike. We’ve been out for a few hours and always stop for a break when they need one. They were swimming for about an hour in a lake this morning. They are happy, healthy, and mentally stimulated despite living in a small apartment. The need to have a house to have a dog people annoy me. I know plenty of people with houses and fenced in yards who have dogs that rarely go further than their yard. My boys have hiked every state park and forest in our state. If you are committed to giving our dog a good life, your living situation is irrelevant.

@tery Thank you for sharing your experience! It’s wonderful that you and your dogs found each other and you can enjoy the activities together. Having a larger older dog is what I’m leaning towards. Me and my husband are pretty active and enjoy hiking but we also enjoy being lazy on the couch so we are looking for a dog who would match our personalities

@kimiad Granted I’m partial; but a lab or an American pitbull terrier or a mix of the two would be a great option. In the pit family the staffies and American bullies tend to be more couch potatoes while ABPT are more athletic.

@kimiad I would recommend a lab over a pit bull. Much better companion dog. Pit bulls have been bred for dog fighting and aggression and are responsible for the vast majority of maulings and fatal dog bites. I know multiple people who have had a pit bull only to have it snap one day and attack a family member or kill a neighbours pet.

@kimiad I'm pretty involved in my neighborhood. I have a few friends in the area that are more than happy to pop in and take the dog for a quick walk and play for a bit.

A lot of people love dogs and they would be more than happy to pitch in once in awhile especially if you pay them a little or leave bottle of wine or dessert or something for them. I have a friend who I cat sit for and they dog sit for me whenever we need a hand.

If you speak to some of your friends and family in the area and they seem enthusiastic this may work for you too. I've never had to use a daycare.

@kimiad Get a dog walker for the middle of the day. Adult dogs turn into old dogs, so even if its bladder can hold till your husband gets home now, as it ages it may not be able to. Most dogs get stressed by having accidents in their home. And try to find dog-friendly neighbours.

@yakob123 I used to take my dog to daycare, but now that he is getting older a walker would be more appropriate. It's all about meeting the needs of each unique pet at their current stage. Good advice Gin.

@kimiad Daycare isn't the answer for every dog. Just consider having a back-up plan (like a reliable dog walker or two) in case your future dog and daycare aren't compatible.

Also, please put your lifestyle first when considering what dog to adopt. Be realistic about what you actually can and are willing to do. For example, you mentioned having a cat - Will this cat still be around when you get the dog? If so, how do you think the cat will tolerate the dog? Are you prepared for the introduction process and/or have a way to keep them separated? The resident cat should be your first priority.

@mdeese Thank you for your response. My cat has been around other dogs and cats and he’s totally fine with them. However, I understand that lifestyle and environment must be considered before adopting any kind of animal.

@kimiad It is recommended you take at least a week off to help get your dog acclimated. Regardless of age, EVERYTHING will be new to them. At some point, practice leaving for longer and longer bits of time.

@kimiad We’re surrounded by great neighbors! Hopefully, you are, too. Even though we’re retired, at least two of our neighbors have keys and are familiar with our home and our dog and cat. In case we have to dash out (sometimes for a day or two, due to an elderly FIL), we can take some comfort in knowing that our pet will be well taken care of—probably spoiled!

If you’re not friends with your neighbors yet, well, your dog will introduce you!

@kimiad I use a dog walker. In my case she plays fetch with my dog in my backyard but being in an apartment youd need one comfortable with walks. Id find one even before adopting a dog. I found mine by posting on social media for recommendations and found a friend of a friend. I trust her more than someone off of rover, though i have had a couple that were successful off of rover too.

She comes halfway through my shift. I also have a camera so i can check on the pup inbetween. Id make sure the dog you adopt is crate trained without seperation anxiety or reactivity. Go through a rescue that uses fosters so you can ask the foster all kinds of questions to make sure the dog can just slide into your lifestyle

@kimiad No problem! Hope it helps. A dog will be much happier with you than homeless thats for sure. So dont let working a couple days a week stop you. 😊

@kimiad I realize that what I'm about to write isn't what you asked for so feel free to ignore me if you want.

I'd like to add that you shouldn't be surprised if the adult dog you adopt has an accident in the first day or two of being in your home. I've fostered a few dogs and every dog, and I mean E-V-E-R-Y dog that I've fostered has had an "accident" in the home. I say accident in quotes because they are not accidents by any measure. It is just a part of adopting a dog.

You will also see the dog go through a de-stressing after a few days where they will suddenly be able to sleep and be calm. It would be best if you were home these first few days with the dog until it understands that this is home and it is safe now. They will also go through changes after a few weeks and possibly up to a year.

As to your original question, I think it would be a good idea for someone to come and give the pup a walk on those long days. If it's your husband then that's easiest but, as you suggested, a dog walker can be great too as it can have the added bonus of socializing your dog with others.

Back