Our GSD has started growling at my wife and this upsets her

@mercedesrub40 Ahh, that’s probably your answer then. It’s his genetic predisposition.

With dogs, it doesn’t really work like it does with humans; they can have the most wonderful of environments and if even one of their parents had a noticeable issue like reactivity or neuroticism, there’s a very high chance the entire litter will inherit it.

That’s why very strict and careful professional breeding is so important… not just to preserve the best physical qualities of a breed, but so that psychological problems like this don’t pass on as well. It is difficult to say the least for the animal as well as their human family, and with large athletic breeds like GSDs, unfortunately heightens risk of injury or death.

I say this with my own sloppily backyard-bred reactive GSD curled up on my knees right now, snoring hard. Just bc we know what is right logically, does not mean our heart doesn’t make choices for us. I knew what I was getting into 4 years ago with an accidental pandemic litter, and made the mistake of humoring my little brother to go visit his friend’s new litter. Was toast as soon as she put her muddy little pot belly on my lap.

But at least you might have an idea of the issues you’re facing during his lifetime. He’s real young, not 2 yet right? This is the perfect time to get a trainer involved and read up on reactivity 101. There’s a ton of Facebook groups for reactive dogs, if nothing else it’s a space for aggregated resources and venting or asking questions from folks in a similar situation.

@mercedesrub40 Following you around isn’t herding! Wtf and she doesn’t walk the dog. Y’all are infuriating. GSD’s can be Velcro dogs, that’s not herding!!!! I’ve owned GSD’s and border collies, huge difference. Again, walk the fucking dog….DAILY. No wonder it’s acting “anxious” as you said. They need a lot of exercise. If you can’t properly care for it please give him to someone who can.

@zander12 I said I take him on runs, he has plenty of space at our house and the backyard to play with the huskies we own. Considering he does try to get me to follow him outside when he needs to potty yes I do qualify that as herding. It’s not like he’s ever bored and we have toys to play with him too. If he was anxious as you’re probably thinking then yes however he doesn’t growl at me which was the point of me posting this

@mercedesrub40 Is he nipping at your heels? Ffs the dog has separation anxiety, that’s not herding. I don’t care how “entertained” you think he is, all those dogs are active breeds that need daily walks/runs or they WILL start having behavioral issues.

@mercedesrub40 Your wife has to walk him everyday. It is HER dog, and it is a german shepard.
My explanation is that now he isnot a puppy anymore, and he must be so extremely bored. No wonder he has issues. If she does not want to walk and train him everyday rehome him, so he get what he deserves.

@cb_isme She’s a full time student and works part time, I’m a active duty soldier so I try to knock out two birds with one stone when exercising him given my line of work…
The purpose of this thread was to find solutions so we DON’T rehome him, so your input is the least to say… unwarranted to put nicely. He has a loving home and better off than a lot of dogs out there that are cramped up in shelters for example. Very bold of you to assume we aren’t giving him what he deserves.

@mercedesrub40 You wrote that she does not walk him but you.
I suggested that SHE walks him etc.
He might just not see her as the owner aka his boss anymore, that is you cause you walk him right? (I was wondering what she did when you were away a few weeks though)
So your wife is lower positionated in your pack, ergo her dog shows her clearly where she is at, combined with dog beeing underutilized
...cause i do not believe he gets real mental input more than 1 hour a day...would be what he DESERVES, by the way.
Walking the dog only is not sufficient for this breed (you wrote that she was teaching him only basic stuff)
And a loving home is nice, but also not sufficient for this breed. Yes, i had this breed by the way.

@mercedesrub40 I’m sorry, but a GSD has to be walked everyday. My husband and I both work full time too but if we ever miss a day due to weather or illness, our sweet girl gets a little too rambunctious. I can’t imagine a GSD walked maybe once a week. I know you don’t want to rehome your boy, but currently you are not meeting his required needs.

@mercedesrub40 Who was walking the dogs when you were doing military training? Did they just go unwalked for weeks?

She does need to try and bond with the dog. A walk is a good thing, even a 15 minute one in the morning. Does she play with him?

Dogs like the people who do things for them. If you're the one walking and looking after the dog then no wonder it follows you around.