Opinions On Progesterone

jjoel10

My dog just had her heat cycle, we tested every day two days after she was pre-LH. I believed she ovulated at 9.73 ng/ml as she had jumped over 4 points the next day but it could have possibly happened 1-2 days before as not all females read the book. She had a surgical insemination 2 days after the 9.73 test and I was shocked she had only went up half a point from previous day results but the semen was already out for delivery. Fast forward the next day she was tested 24 hours after her surgical and she was down less than half a point from previous day result, I tested again the next day and she was 15.5. The vet did say at time of surgical she had a lot of scar tissues and some cysts so she’ll be spayed before her next heat cycle. I don’t what to think of results or if she’ll get pregnant? Opinions please? All tests done on Bionote V200, results below, all results except the last 2 were taken around 8:30am each morning on fasting blood.

Blood Drop- 3/21/24
cPRG 3/27/24- 1.64 ng/ml(Pre-LH Surge)
cPRG 3/29/24- 4.33 ng/ml(Post LH Surge)
cPRG 3/30/24- 7.17 ng/ml(Ovulation)
cPRG 3/31/24- 9.73 ng/ml(Ovulation)
cPRG 4/1/24- 14.31 ngml(Post Ovulation)
cPRG 4/2/24- 14.97 ng/ml(Post Ovulation)
Surgical Insemination-4/2/24@ 2-3pm (Fresh Chilled)
cPRG 4/3/24- 14.47 ng/ml @2:30pm (Post Ovulation)
cPRG 4/4/24- 15.5 ng/ml @ 8:30am (Post Ovulation)

@jjoel10 If it's just hovering at 15, that's fine. I had a litter where the progesterone only got up to 12 in diestrus with 5 puppies and I think it was 15 or 16 mid-pregnancy. Given this is fresh chilled and not frozen, that increases your chances of success. I think you'll be fine timing-wise as long as the uterus is well enough to handle the pregnancy, but even in totally perfect matings the odds are still around 80%, so it doesn't always work even when everything is right.

@jjoel10 Once it hits 5 and they ovulate it will fluctuate. Doesn’t matter what the actual number is as long as it stays above baseline for the duration of the pregnancy.

You’re over thinking it.

@jjoel10 I agree with the other two commenters on her progesterone and ovulation timing. I would be more concerned about the cysts and scarring than her numbers. Fingers crossed she gives you one last nice litter!

Back