Open Feeding?

mammah

Currently we have our 3yo boy Coda on Hills Science Perfect Digestion.

Fed twice daily, once in the morning around 7:45, then again around 5:30. 1 & 1/2 scoops each

He’s developed a habit of ground nibbling - he’ll eat ANYTHING leafy or worse yet sticks. Constantly foraging for something tasty on the ground. Biggest worry is sticks or something that might get stuck in his throat.

I spoke with a few vets who said it could be boredom or nerves. He seems pretty preoccupied with the toys and games he plays while we’re out - we leave the tv on from time to time - this is literally the only dog I’ve ever had that actually WATCHED tv.

I wouldn’t say he’s any more nervous than a regular dog, especially for his breed. Full blood cattle dog.

One vet mentioned open feeding as a solution. Are there preferred methods to introducing open feed? A major plus would also be a good food recommendation that’s good for him and the wallet. I would foresee his current food getting pretty pricey with open feed.

Have also considered a “performance” or higher protein food for him.

Any thoughts?

@mammah How heavy is your guy? We do the same science diet but only a cup twice per day. His weight is healthy, but maybe your guy is pretty big? The breed size can vary.

Maybe instead of more food, he wants more challenge of finding things? We sometimes play hide and seek with treats, or use a puzzle treat toy. Maybe a snuffle mat for his regular food would be fun?

Trust your vet over an internet stranger of course, but this behavior sounds more like he is seeking the thrill of finding a fun treat, not necessarily actually being hungry. These dogs will choose brain stimulation over anything!

Try to give him some more challenges, and make sure to give him the "all done" command when the activity is over. If we don't do that, then he will obsess over trying to find another hidden treat.

@mammah These dogs are a mouthy breed. Does he have things to chew on? Sometimes you can give them a disposable plastic water bottle to carry on walks.

Free feeding makes fat dogs.

You can bring a baggie of frozen blueberries on your walks and toss them onto the ground.

Back