Open farm raw mix grain free

heatherolivia

Needs some info . I been feeding my dogs that are 1 year and 1.5 years with nutrilife that is grain free but has legumes . Doing more research looks like peas are bad for dogs cause they can process them and can cause cancer in the future .

Do y’all prefer grain free or food with grains.

Thanks for the reading .

@heatherolivia It’s not that peas are bad or cause cancer.

It’s that peas, when used improperly, appear to contribute to the development of a nutrition-mediated heart disease.

Poor Formulation and the presence of peas, potatoes, and pulses are the two commonalities in most diets linked to diet-related dilated cardiomyopathy.

There is no demonstrated benefit to grain free food at all. It is a fad with no science behind it, and extruded diets without those ingredients replace grain with those 3P ingredients. Grain inclusive formulas that use those ingredients and are not formulated and tested by experts have also been implicated.

Veterinary consensus is that picking a science backed grain inclusive diet is far safer.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DogFood/wiki/index/dcm

@heatherolivia I’d speak with your vet and see what they recommend for your fur babies. My Yorkie only 15 weeks old and currently eating Wellness brand puppy food. Vet told me to be sure it was NOT the grain free kind.

@heatherolivia My dog cannot tolerate grain so I can only feed him grain free food. If your dog does fine on grain then there's no need to feed grain free food as I dont believe there's any major benefits to feeding primarily legumes.

@ernestcop I stopped beating origin when they got bought out by Morris company and I just want my dogs to eat the best I can give them because I cannot afford to cook their own food. I’ve been feeding them grain free food for about a year and they seem fine. Coat is super shiny super energetics on the if I give him too much of a certain program Blake too much I don’t know

@heatherolivia Even though they were bought by Mars, there hasn’t been any formula changes.

Grain free should absolutely be avoided though. Grain free diets have the most reported cases of diet-associated dilated cardiomyopathy, a heart disease. Changes to the heart aren’t always seen immediately (though DCM has been diagnosed in a puppy six months old). For some dogs, the first symptom is sudden death.

The best food for your dog is going to be one that meets WSAVA guidelines and one you can afford.

Back