On Appropriate Weight for your GSD - or; Your Dog is Fat

@blessedian Just going by this video, if this was my dog, I'd be trying to put maybe 2-3 lbs on. The only reason I say that is how you can see the spine easily right at the end.. I'd want to hide that just a bit more. His tuck is just a little high in the first video you posted.

But again, this is all minutia. That dog isn't close to being unhealthy. I'd call that inside the range you want, if on the lower end.

My 2c, YMMV.

@2daughters We have tried everything in our power to get him to gain weight. He was the "runt" of the litter and we've done everything we can think of to get him to gain weight. Outside of feeding him an extra 6 or so eggs a day to get him to a healthy weight. I know GSDs are active as a breed, Thor seems above and beyond the activity of most GSDs in the neighborhood (there are about 15 in total and we all let them hang and play). He is probably a little more "anxious" than the other dogs as well so I feel like his anxiety burns calories other pups aren't going through.

@blessedian From what you're saying, he's obviously not underfed. If you're not having any stool issues, keep on keepin' on. As I said in another spot here, some of 'em are just slim and it's nothing to get bent out of shape about :)

@2daughters I think this is a good topic to bring up and it also makes me sad when I see overweight dogs.

Two things to keep in mind are that 1.) some dogs really have a hard time keeping weight off due to thyroid or other issues and 2.) some dogs are recently adopted and losing weight slowly. My older girl weighed 116 lbs when I got her. She now weighs 77. It took a long time for her body condition to look nice in photographs. I'm sure the majority are just fat because people don't know any better, but it was pretty annoying/hurtful for people to assume I didn't know how to care for my dog properly when I was just trying to clean up someone else's mess, so be sure to approach the subject with sensitivity.

@2daughters Gah. I know. I just brought home a foster yesterday. She should be about 60lbs but right now she's about 75. I did a double take when I first saw her because I thought "goddamnit they didn't tell me this dog was pregnant"

@2daughters Awesome post.

I get comments on how 'skinny' my GSD is pretty frequently (he isn't skinny at all, he's a muscular beast). Hilariously, it's often from the owner of an obese dog.

Obese dog owners do not want to hear that they should be able to see the last rib of their dog. Learned that one the hard way.

@2daughters Despite having a favorable hip rating I keep my boy lean for his bones. He also just appears to be happier when not bogged down with those extra lbs. He's 26inches at the shoulder and 85lbs of lean muscle. He has the hip definition you speak of and I still get harped on for having a "skinny" dog. He's six years old and I can wager I'll get more time out of him if kept at this state. The only clue to his age is the white peppering his lips. I can live with that.

@2daughters I can't upvote this enough. 120 pound Czech bred police dogs are not what your GSD who lives in a 14x20 foot backyard should look like. My male is 85lb, my female is 75lb.

@2daughters Free with you wholeheartedly. Same for cats and horses! As a great Dane owner, we are very aware of our animals weight. When my brother and sis in law adopted our foster GSD, he weighed 75lb. When we took him back for the summer, he just weighed in at 100lb!!! he hit 100lb before, but that was solid muscle, when we were hiking and riding for miles every other day. now he is just t fat. he's already showing hip problems because of it! more than a little peeved.

@2daughters My buddy gets this about his pup all the time, and sometimes it drives him nuts. I just ask him, "what's your vet say?" If this person isn't a health professional, you don't need to make much of their opinions anyways.

Back