NutriSource opinions

tre_corvus

Hi, I’m new to this sub, but I did search for nutri source first and couldn’t find many posts about it here. Just curious if anyone knows much about nutri source and what opinions may be on their food. I’ve been feeding my GSD/Lab mix puppy nutri source (not grain free!) puppy food, but I’ve heard a lot more recently that smaller companies don’t have as much research behind their foods, so I’ve been considering switching him over to something else. I’ve learned that the grain free options have been linked to multiple health concerns in dogs, but I’m not feeding him grain free. I’ve just heard/read so many mixed things that it’s all super overwhelming, so I figured I’d see if any of you may have some advice! I’m looking into Purina Pro Plan, and I’m also curious about the Hill’s Science Diet, but I’m open to suggestions. I just want to make sure I’m feeding him something that keeps him healthy and is not known to cause health risks. He’s 9 months old, so he will be switching over to adult food soon as well.

@tre_corvus Nutri-Source is decent food, I would call it middle of the road. It's not the best but not the worst. If it works for your dog and they are doing good on it then you are fine. Also grain-free foods are not directly linked to DCM, it is food that lack proper levels of taurine. Similar to how certain human diets if done wrong will not provide proper levels of protein/vitamins for our bodies. You can judge almost any dog food by its first 5 ingredients, as they are listed in order of quantity. The more meat the more taurine in the dog food. I hope this helps!

@pjsmom Thank you! I’ve discussed it with our vet as well, and he seemed to think the nutri source food my dog is on is fine, but then I had another vet tell me it could be problematic 😅 I trust my vet, but the other vet kind of scared me by telling me some of the nutri source foods have supposedly been linked to DCM. I appreciate your input!!

@tre_corvus Yeah the pet food world can be very biased. Everyone has their favorite food and loves to down talk other brands. Like you said, trust your vet if you like them and they have good expirence. Vets without advanced nutrition education (which is alot of extra schooling) have little to no nutrition education. So alot of what they learn is from expirence from past clients, and demos provided by brands they sell.

Back