No barking?

jluponeage

So I’ve had my rescue ACD for about 5 weeks now. He’s a total sweetie and it’s hard to see why anyone would return him. He was returned by 3 different people before I adopted him which was heartbreaking. So well behaved, doesn’t wreck anything, massive snuggler (he’s a 45 pound lap dog), and came crate trained and housebroken. He’s content to snooze all day as long as he gets a walk.

One thing is puzzling though, he hasn’t made a sound though aside from growling at small dogs when we pass them (he thinks they’re prey), or when he’s dreaming.

I know he can bark, I heard him bark at the shelter. From my understanding, ACD is generally a very bark-y breed.

Perhaps he isn’t quite settled in yet? He behaves like he’s been here for years when he hasn’t. I’ve owned sassy dachshunds and a shelter mutt prior to this so I’m used to a lot of barking from my dogs 😅. Half the time I don’t realize my guy is right by me because he’s so quiet. Hopefully he’ll bark soon?

@jluponeage I’d research the 3-3-3 rule for rescues. Every dog is different, but typically it takes 3 days for them to figure out you won’t hurt them, 3 wks to accept you aren’t kicking them out, & 3 mo to start to truly call you home. Rescues come from trauma & the true personality of the dog you adopted won’t show up for a few months

@mooky0909 Agreed. We have one we adopted in May and she's just now starting to show us her real personality. The shelter we adopted from said the same thing. And our other rescue dog were similar.

@jluponeage My ACD doesn’t bark unless he is chasing off coyotes. He will do an alarm bark in certain situations when someone makes a knocking sound, etc, but it’s just a few seconds. I do think sometimes it takes a while to settle into the idea that they are really home and that they need to defend the territory.

@jluponeage I thought my girl was literally a mute for the first like three months, she doesn’t even whimper when she’s hurt really. She found her voice a bit more but I think it’s because they need your attention and that’s what it’s made for.

My girl is not a deep bark though, it’s super high pitched and deafening haha also the loud pitched whining is not much better. Still love her though

Back