Niece wants to go on vacation for 3 days and leave dogs in a crate

patricia1213

My niece is going on vacation for 3 days and wants to crate her 2 year old pitty and 7 month old puppy the whole time. She thinks it’s okay because she will have someone drop in every 12 hours or so. I don’t think this is acceptable and am trying to convince her to board them. She wants me to drop in in the morning with the dogs and someone else will in the evening. Can anyone give me any specific literature about why this is bad for the dogs? Am I just being over reactive? I feel like I’m being gaslit by her and her fiancée.

@patricia1213 thats not okay she should get a pet sitter or take them to a dog hotel.

dogs need exercise, water, they need space to move around freely and once every 12 hours is not enough

@jagger Pardon my exhaustion at typing this out lol
-pet hotel
-were going to have an intervention on how she takes care of her doggos (as I don’t know what their daily life is like)
-if they don’t respond I will call animal control

@patricia1213 FFS some people should never be allowed to be responsible for another life, whether pet or human. No, this is not OK. These dogs need access to water, outdoors to relieve themselves, and exercise, not to mention the cruelty of leaving them alone for at least 12 hours at a time locked up in crates.

@firegreen3344 I’m glad I joined this sub. I’m no dog expert, but this didn’t feel right to me. I’ve got 3 at home and I absolutely wouldn’t be able to leave them in a crate even close to that long. The thought of them isolated and scared like that wigs me out

@patricia1213 You plan for pet care as part of your vacation planning and add it to the budget. We mostly plan vacations that can include our dog now, but when we can't, we have a trusted boarding service.

@firegreen3344 I wish I had a trusted boarding service near me, the one time we tried the best reviewed place near me we got our dog back all shaken up and smelling like pee, and they told us he wouldn’t eat or go to the bathroom the whole time.

@zakir500 I actually use an in-home boarder. She came highly recommended and the intake process built a lot of confidence. It started with a multi-page questionnaire covering my expectations for care, rules regarding behaviour and permission to be on furniture or not, crate sleeping etc, followed by dietary requirements, dog health/vet care and a provision for vet care in an emergency. Once that was done, we had a couple day-only visits for my dog to get used to the place. The owner is also careful to schedule in dogs of similar play style and size, so it's hard to get in, but well worth it. My pup loses her mind with excitement when we pull into the driveway. I recommend joining local fb groups or even starting your own for dog owners in your area. This is where the best recommendations will come from.

@zakir500 TBH, that doesnt necessarily reflect on their level of care.

Ive worked in a few dog daycares and some dogs just arent suited to it. Even if they're kept solo (which kind of defeats the point, but was necessary in some cases) the sounds and smells of other dogs was enough to keep them way over stimulated.

If your pup is sensitive, or used to routine, boarding at a facility might just be too much for them.

The smell thing is a frequent complaint, but again, a place that houses 30+ dogs just isn't going to smell like roses. The daycares I worked at were cleaned scrupulously every day - walls scrubbed with brushes weekly, flooring swept, mopped, and steamed daily, laundry running constantly. It doesn't matter. It smells like active dogs.

Needing baths after is common too, especially if the dog is anxious. But bathing them might make them more anxious, and is time consuming (you can just leave a dog wet at a boarding or daycare facility - might as well not have bathed it in the first place), so they often dont unless its included and paid for in the package.

TBH, I started doing home petsitting because I knew a few dogs who couldnt be boarded, and so I branched out. It just doesnt work for every dog.

@tms7981 She was abused as a child, which is why I think she thinks it’s okay. She was taken away from my sister when she was 16. She was quite literally locked in her house with blackout curtains, not allowed to eat when she liked to, not allowed to go out except for school, not allowed to have friends, a cell phone, internet, tv, etc. she had a pretty fucked upbringing. I’m not saying that makes it okay, I just think I understand why she’s emotionally stupid.

EDIT: to reiterate. I’m still doing something about it. I’m not going to let her do this. But affording some context. She probably shouldn’t have dogs, but I didn’t realize she thought this was OK until now

Back