New clippers - what other detachable blades do I need (simple doodle “puppy cuts”)?

Hello!

I’m finally ordering my high quality detachable blade clippers. Excited! I’m also getting a set of blade guards to go on it since I’ll primarily be clipping my two doodles w/ longer “puppy cuts”. (No shaved feet, faces, or anything like that.) I’ll mostly be using a 1” (#8), a 1.25” (#10), and a #12 & #16 (1.5” & 2”) if they latter two will work on the clippers. I’m getting a good set of multiple guards so that I can also continue to do haircuts on my spouse (we’re aspiring minimalists and will just use the same clippers on both humans & pups).

My question is, the clippers (like most) come with a #10 detachable blade. I’m wondering, given the type of cuts that I’ll be doing, will I need another type of blade in addition to the #10 at this point? Some say I will have to buy a #30 to get the clipper guard/combs to work right (even though the companies technically say that they will work w/ a #10). If I don’t need to purchase more blades right now, I won’t but if I do, I’d love to know. Also, which are your favorite universal blades? Andis? Oster CryogenX? Ceramic? Wahl Ultimate Competition? Any info would be super helpful. Thanks so much in advance!

@s3mp3rr3formanda You'll want more blades if only because you have two bigger dogs. Blades that get too hot won't cut as well and also serve as a safety risk to your pup. I usually switch between two blades for doodles, which take me about an hour or two to groom. You'll also need to oil your blades after each use. I'd still recommend getting a 30 to use under the combs, it's just the most effective.

Groomers use several different lengths of blades for the full groom. Personally I use a #10 only on the potty/sanitary area. I use a #40 on footpads for a cleaner scoop, but some people use a #30.

Blade type, I really prefer Wahl blades, of any type, really. I wouldn't worry about diamond or ceramic blades, they're more expensive and won't make much of a difference for someone who is just doing 2-3 grooms every few weeks.

@s3mp3rr3formanda It depends on your guard combs. If you have plastic then a #10 and #40 work best, is it’s metal guards then you can use a #10 or a #30 - never use a #40 under plastic. I prefer a #30

I use a #10 for sanitary areas, arm pits, in front of eyes, inside of ears, and any mats.

I would recommend getting a #40 or #30 for paw pads,

Back